What proportion of your ranked movies are by women?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Suture Self
2704 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: What proportion of your ranked movies are by women?

Post by Suture Self »

a friend linked me to this list:

http://flavorwire.com/467279/50-essenti ... s/view-all

now i'm not sure what criteria they used to consider a film "feminist", but i don't really care, because i primarily view the list as a good source for movies i've never heard of before. plus, many of them are directed by women

i figured viewers of this thread might be interested

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

just as a side comment: lately i've been looking into female directors, and as a result of female directors getting less exposure than male directors, i have come across a lot of new faces that i might not have otherwise encountered had i not specifically sought out female directors.

at the end of the day i just want to be exposed to as many good movies as possible, and this seems like one of many ways to go about it. pretty harmless and perfectly justifiable, especially if you have an interest in differing perspectives, no?

food for thought for shogun

karamazov.
1727 Ratings

Post by karamazov. »

FarCryss wrote:i figured viewers of this thread might be interested

Yeah, cheers. A number I've seen, or been planning on seeing, but several I'm not familiar with, thanks.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

FarCryss wrote:at the end of the day i just want to be exposed to as many good movies as possible, and this seems like one of many ways to go about it. pretty harmless and perfectly justifiable, especially if you have an interest in differing perspectives, no?

food for thought for shogun

It's a very inefficient way to go about doing this. I have a list of directors I want to watch more of or for the first time, some of them women. My interest is based on their style and work, not their genitals.

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

there's no one way to go about finding movies. you have your way. i have my way. the true way does not exist. stop being a communist

also, your assumption that directors are sexless and genitals are of no consequence seems a little strange. for example, to say that sarah jacabson's genitals, or catherine breillat's genitals, are of no consequence to their style and work is just hilarious to me. you'd understand if you saw their movies, though
Last edited by Suture Self on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

karamazov. wrote:
FarCryss wrote:i figured viewers of this thread might be interested

Yeah, cheers. A number I've seen, or been planning on seeing, but several I'm not familiar with, thanks.

no problem!

Paxton
3633 Ratings

Post by Paxton »

FarCryss wrote:there's no one way to go about finding movies. you have your way. i have my way. the true way does not exist. stop being a communist

also, your assumption that directors are sexless and genitals are of no consequence seems a little strange. for example, to say that sarah jacabson's genitals, or catherine breillat's genitals, are of no consequence to their style and work is just hilarious to me. you'd understand if you saw their movies, though

Every time I look at this thread it all seems to be about genitals.

I like this thread.

hellboy76
6339 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

While I have no doubt being a woman influences some female directors heavily, I think there are others where if you watched their films, would have no idea it was made by a female.

Compare say a Sofia Coppola to a Kathryn Bigelow? Coppola's work feels softer, perhaps more vaginal? That may bother some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina.

I mean coitus.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

FarCryss wrote:a friend linked me to this list:

http://flavorwire.com/467279/50-essenti ... s/view-all

now i'm not sure what criteria they used to consider a film "feminist", but i don't really care, because i primarily view the list as a good source for movies i've never heard of before. plus, many of them are directed by women

i figured viewers of this thread might be interested

cool. i've got female trouble on my most important to see list, and i'll probably watch the dyketactics short when i get home.

and daisies needs to be seen by everyone.

but alien isn't feminist ffs.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

btw, all this nonsense about genitals and stuff. some female directors aren't distinctly female. like my favourite currently, larisa shepitko. but some films are obviously directed by women. jeanne dielman is the quintessential example. it's nothing to do with genetic wiring or whatnot, but culture matters. and genitals too. that catherine breillat comment was spot-on.