What proportion of your ranked movies are by women?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: What proportion of your ranked movies are by women?

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mucow
1006 Ratings

Post by mucow »

I got 3.5%, which really surprised me, but I noticed that the female directors I really like have only done a handful of films, so even if I saw all of their work, I might only bump up that percentage to 5%.

I also find it interesting that the female directors I've seen the most work from are the Wachowskis.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

6.25% exactly. I didn't plan for that but the even fraction is very satisfying. I'm expecting the proportion to drop since I'm currently on a binge of B&W Hollywood films.

Two tier 10 films directed by women: The Matrix and Shrek.

nothings
1171 Ratings

Post by nothings »

.7%..... abysmal

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

or 2.75...percent

As for the years old discussion about what to draw from the data, I am surprised it's so low, and would be very curious to know how my percentage would stack up to the total percentage of movies directed by women. As for if I would seek to see movies directed by women, my tastes are not swayed by the gender of the director consciously, as I assume most peoples aren't, because generally, I don't know who the director of a movie is before seeing it. There are occasions where I will seek to see every movie by a specific director if I find that they do good work, but it'll generally start with me seeing one movie, then finding out who the director is afterward. I would imagine that female directors tend to impart attributes in their movies that appeal to women, and would consequently appeal less to me which might skew my percentage to less than average numbers. To provide an example, I'm sure I'm stereotyping right now, I just tried to think of a movie that I wasn't sure who the director was, but thought that it was obviously geared toward women and might also have been directed by a woman "Riding in Cars with Boys" (it's the first thing that came to my head)--and wouldn't you know? It was directed by Penny Marshall. Let's see if I can do it again. "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" director: Callie Khouri. I'm sure if they came out with two stand out movies in a row that I love, I'd be sure to check out other stuff by them, but judging by the ones I've seen, there's not many female directors out there that put out my kind of stuff consistently, except for the Wachowski's--I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyShears
5493 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

0. I have ranked all my films myself. :twisted:

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

41/1764
2.3%

We Need to Talk About Kevin is my favourite by a female director. It also happens to be my favourite film of the decade thus far.

Nilbog
980 Ratings

Post by Nilbog »

19/436 4% :?
What movies from female directors should I watch?

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

You might find some good recommendations in this fairly extensive collection: Female Directors.