What proportion of your ranked movies are by women?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: What proportion of your ranked movies are by women?

Post by ShogunRua »

FarCryss wrote:there's no one way to go about finding movies. you have your way. i have my way. the true way does not exist. stop being a communist

Strawman followed by ad hominem.

FarCryss wrote:also, your assumption that directors are sexless and genitals are of no consequence seems a little strange. for example, to say that sarah jacabson's genitals, or catherine breillat's genitals, are of no consequence to their style and work is just hilarious to me. you'd understand if you saw their movies, though

Their genitals are only a part of their overall style. Just like genitals were a small part of Fellini's or Ken Russell's works. Or are you arguing that everyone with a vagina makes similar sexual movies, or thinks about sex the same way? That would be a little too stupid even by your standards.

lisagirl wrote:btw, all this nonsense about genitals and stuff.

You mean this entire topic?

lisagirl wrote:but some films are obviously directed by women.

You sure that's not confirmation bias talking?

If I didn't know who the respective directors were, I would guess that The Hurt Locker was directed by a man and The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant was made by a woman. And I would be wrong on both scores.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

lisagirl wrote: and i'll probably watch the dyketactics short when i get home.

http://tinyurl.com/onagrdp

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

lisagirl wrote:
lisagirl wrote: and i'll probably watch the dyketactics short when i get home.

http://tinyurl.com/onagrdp

i liked this

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

i've just clicked over 7%, although to be fair i'm making sure that i add any film i see to the collection if it fits, which will inflate my figures compared to other people.

Tomhet
945 Ratings

Post by Tomhet »

Not sure if this was posted yet, but fuck it: http://thecinemagirl.blogspot.com/2014/ ... women.html

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

it just passed 3000 films after i threw in a ton of alice guy shorts, so, hooray!

xanderbisc
2569 Ratings

Post by xanderbisc »

back to the original question:

105/1679 which is 6.25%

Favourite movie directed by a woman - Dig!

Moribunny
5504 Ratings

Post by Moribunny »

March, 2012
[spoiler]
Moribunny wrote:2.85%, which means 77, according to Criticker, but the collection is probably missing some, it includes male/female collaborations, and apparently someone added Bela Tarr movies to the collection because they didn't realize that in Hungary Bela is a male name. [PeaceAnarchy has corrected me that they were in fact co-directed by a woman]

Interestingly a whopping 15% of them are in my Tier 10. So good job women, please direct more movies.

My top three spots are taken by Lina Wertmuller films, and after that I have stuff by Lynne Ramsay, Margarethe von Trotta (with V. Schloendorff), Vera Chytilova, Kathryn Bigelow, Forugh Farrokhzad, Jodie Foster, Marjane Satrapi, Lotte Reiniger, Elaine May...
[/spoiler]

March, 2016
134 of 3993, or 3.36%.

Which means up .51% from 4 years ago. Favorites remain Lina Wertmuller and Lynne Ramsay.
I intend to increase that intake further.

ehk2
8465 Ratings

Post by ehk2 »

192/5114 (all); 105/2687 (feature films): 3.8% and 3.9% respectively.
Highest ranked (solo director): Akerman's Jeanne Dielman...
My new favourite: Austrian Jessica Hausner, with two her films in my top tier.

http://womeninfilm.org/52-films/
initiatives like that sound good if one has time

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

I just read this whole thread. Very interesting, aside from the usual pedantry from a vocal minority. Personally, I don't decide which films to watch based on the gender of the director, and yet my percentage is about double the average, so as far as I'm concerned a good rule of thumb is just to seek out good films - some of them are directed by women!

It is interesting to note the films made by women though to find out whether their perspective is noticeably different - and frequently it is. I don't think for example a male director would have made In My Skin or Fat Girl in the same way, if at all. Would they have been better or worse if directed by men? I don't know.They would certainly have been very different though.

Interestingly, nobody mentioned Fassbinder in all the kerfuffle. If someone were to watch a film like The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant or Fear of Fear, and didn't know the gender of the director I think a lot of people would assume they were directed by a female. Conversely if they watched Zero Dark Thirty or American Psycho they'd assume they were made by men.

All of which goes to show that people spend too much time obsessing over things that don't really matter.
Last edited by VinegarBob on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.