What proportion of your ranked movies are by women?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
cameron326
1094 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: What proportion of your ranked movies are by women?

Post by cameron326 »

That's a well-made point prowler.

ShogunRua:
Yeah, I know; it shows in your thinking and posts

Unlike you of course, clearly one of the great thinkers of our age. And by the way, Michael Moore might be a bit of a muppet and make barely disguised propaganda films for the left, but when put next to his preferred target, the 43rd President of the United States, he was towering a genius in the mold of Albert Einstein.

And by the way, i'm not politically on the left or a "liberal" as its referred to in the States. I'm actually economically quite centrist, although on social issues I guess I'd be a liberal. But the important point is that I don't try to interpret and understand every social phenomenon, person, argument, and event, within the context of an outdated and clumsy left vs right commentary . . . guess who I'm referring to here?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

cameron326 wrote:That's a well-made point prowler.

ShogunRua:
Yeah, I know; it shows in your thinking and posts

Unlike you of course, clearly one of the great thinkers of our age. And by the way, Michael Moore might be a bit of a muppet and make barely disguised propaganda films for the left, but when put next to his preferred target, the 43rd President of the United States, he was towering a genius in the mold of Albert Einstein.

And by the way, i'm not politically on the left or a "liberal" as its referred to in the States. I'm actually economically quite centrist, although on social issues I guess I'd be a liberal. But the important point is that I don't try to interpret and understand every social phenomenon, person, argument, and event, within the context of an outdated and clumsy left vs right commentary . . . guess who I'm referring to here?

I never once mentioned "left", "right", or any other direction...you were the one who brought it up.

And disclaimers aside, the post above makes it clear that you're not much interested in discussing movies, but just spreading your political agenda with lousy passive-aggressive insults.

cameron326
1094 Ratings

Post by cameron326 »

ShogunRua, I don't have a political agenda - honest, guv!
Getting back to the argument, I think prowler made a good point, do you agree with it?

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

cameron326 wrote:Likewise, to suggest that actively seeking out films directed by women constitues sexism is laughable.

Sexism is discriminating based on sex. When you choose what movies to see in a broad spectrum, you obviously must discriminate in some manner to weed out which movies not to see. If you choose to see a film Criticker recommends, you are discriminating against all films Criticker does not recommend. If you choose to watch a new film you are discriminating against older films. If you choose to watch a film made by a woman, you are discriminating against films made by men. There can be other factors factoring into your decision, but if these particular examples are the reason why you chose that film, it's fairly obvious that you are discriminating against all films that do not meet that criteria. I have absolutely no problem with discrimination, and I use that term now in the broadest sense possible dropping all negative connotations. Without discrimination in any form, we would be unable to make choices. Discrimination can be logical as well as illogical, fair as well as unfair, but saying that discriminating based on sex is not sexism is laughable.

prowler wrote:rufflesack you're wrong. every step ever taken towards gender equality could be interpreted as sexism against the then-status quo.

it's pretty damn simple, we have two sentences:

x has as much potential as y.
y has 95% more exposure than x.

if you agree both sentences are true, then the logical conclusion is x needs more exposure, and you as an audience member should do your part

Sorry, but that chain of logic does not work. We in fact have three sentences, at least.

x has as much potential as y.
y has a prevalence of 95%.
y has 95% of the exposure.

The problem isn't that too few people watch films made by women. As we've seen in this thread, the number of films people have watched made by women corresponds very accurately to the actual number of films made by women.

If we are to interpret the low amount of female directors as a "problem" one criteria must be fulfilled: The prevalence of male directors must not be because there are proportionally fewer females attempting to make it as a director. I did a search just now and found (with no conclusive source) statements saying the gender representation in film school is about 50/50. Other factors can come into play - a large number of girls can quit prematurely, etc, but if this is true we may have a problem. But I believe problems should be solved by going to the source and curing it, rather than simply patching up the symptoms, which can lead to unfortunate side effects and doesn't even actually solve the problem at hand, because the problem at hand is that not enough women get to be directors not that not enough people see their films.

At least you agree that this kind of discriminatory behavior is sexism. I'm not a person who sees this as problem-solving at all. I'm 100% for gender equality absolutely every step of the way, which means that if you have a solution to gender inequality which includes simply adding gender inequality the other way I think that is a huge problem.

The ends do not justify the means as far as I am concerned. I am concerned with the correctness of each individual action and its implications. If you find you like films made by women more than films made by men on average, that is a totally legitimate, logical and fair way to choose films to see. If you find you've seen less films made by women even than the actual percentage of films made by women (few people here have), that is a at least moderately legitimate reason to seek out more films made by women.

I think gender quotas are a truly horrible thing. When the grade average required for entry into a study is, say, 90% for a man and 80% for a woman, simply because fewer women apply, I think that is an utterly abhorrent practice. Absolutely terrible.

JJJames wrote:
Rufflesack wrote:It's really just taking the idea of imposed quotas (which is horrible) down to an individual level. The moment you start watching a film because it has a female director you're being just as sexist as you are if you start watching a film because it doesn't.

you should be embarrassed to hold this opinion

Why?
Last edited by cagedwisdom on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prowler
941 Ratings

Post by prowler »

you didn't argue my point, did you.

obviously the "real" problem is that, for the 50/50 representation in film school, only (say) 5% women get to be directors. well, there's not much that i as a viewer can do about that.

what i can do is, say, make an effort to see more films made by women than i would if i didn't pay attention to directors at all (which is what most people do). does this involve giving a shot to films i maybe normally wouldn't? sure, why not.

and who knows maybe if enough people did this, we'd see a change in the "real" problem too ;)

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Psh, you're all being discriminate against gender-variant directors

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

prowler wrote:you didn't argue my point, did you.

I... thought I did. Sorry?

prowler wrote:obviously the "real" problem is that, for the 50/50 representation in film school, only (say) 5% women get to be directors. well, there's not much that i as a viewer can do about that.

First, however, one must establish whether or not this is a real problem. For all you know there can be a perfectly legitimate reason why 50% of film school students are women and 5% of film directors are women. I genuinely think that it is probably due to Hollywood being sexist up the ass which I've even written a blog post about, but do you have any evidence that it isn't simply because women are not as good as men at directing films? Maybe they all drop out of film school by choice. Maybe women have an unnaturally high prevalence of realizing midway through their film studies that they don't want to pursue that path. Don't misunderstand me now, I don't think either scenario is even close to being as likely as the more obvious sexism scenario, but these are all things that you need to consider before deciding to act upon a "problem". If there's no problem, and you try to solve the problem, you're just going to muck things up. The problem needs to be identified first as a problem, then you need to identify the source of it, and then that is what needs to be changed. Changing other things to deal with the problem is misguided in my opinion.

prowler wrote:what i can do is, say, make an effort to see more films made by women than i would if i didn't pay attention to directors at all (which is what most people do). does this involve giving a shot to films i maybe normally wouldn't? sure, why not.

This in itself is not necessarily a problem per se, but it is a sexist position. As I've said before, sexism is not inherently bad all the time. It becomes a problem if films made by women get more exposure because they're made by women than films films made by men do, regardless of quality. The quality of the individual film is all that should ever matter, and applying some sort of socio-political agenda one way or the other to counter discrepancies is bullshit.

Let me give you a tangentially related example from my homeland of Norway:

Here there are many ways in which filmmakers can receive money to make films from the government and other agencies. One such agency, 5 or so years ago, decided to give $5 million to the production of a film called Pax. It was recently released (delayed for a variety of irrelevant reasons), and it bombed. Critics panned it, people hated it, barely anyone went to see it. The point of this story is that the director of the film was a woman, and that the person in charge of the agency at the time has since the film's release gone public with a very detailed description of the events of 5 years ago, telling how the only reason that particular film got those $5 million dollars was because it was one of few applying projects with a female director, and the director had made a film before that wasn't half bad. He went on to say that, had the project been attached to a male director, there was no way the money would have gone in that direction because the script was, apparently, awful - and the final script even more so than the draft he saw at the time. The reason he had chosen a female director was that in the same year, the minister for culture had made it quite plain that if there was not a noticeably higher prevalence of female directors in Norwegian film within a few years, they would begin to enforce hard quotation. Apparently this problem is not Hollywood-centric, and the Government sought to do something about it, pressuring agencies to give money to films with female directors over films with male directors.

A few things worth noting:
1. The number of projects that applied for this "grant" with a female director attached was apparently extremely small. For the most part directors themselves apply for this grant. The idea of "production companies" is not really applicable to Norway to the same extent as it is elsewhere (though it is not completely absent). This quite simply means that that in all likelihood, few women applied. It wasn't that anyone was telling them not to apply for the grant, they simply didn't.
2. This is a clear cut example of how attempting to negate sexism by enforcing sexism in the other direction has clear, negative ramifications. Those $5 million dollars could have gone to a vastly better production. The end result is worse films, which is why films should always be judged on their merit alone, and the sex of their director not at all.

prowler wrote:and who knows maybe if enough people did this, we'd see a change in the "real" problem too

Yeah, maybe, but I'll first remind you that re: point 1. above you can't be sure whether there is a "problem" or if there are other reasons for the state of affairs you want to correct and re: point 2. above while it may result in more female directors it may also result in great films not being made and subpar films being made, when that would not have been the case had you not tried to apply negative sexism to the issue.

Have I replied to your point now? :P

Let me just say once more that if you want to seek out films made by women because you're curious as to, say, which contributions to cinema women have offered, or any other such reason, that's perfectly OK. I have no problem with that.

EDIT: Sorry, but I only picked up on this sentence now...
prowler wrote:every step ever taken towards gender equality could be interpreted as sexism against the then-status quo.

This is the single most weird statement I've heard in a long time, and it's just plain wrong in every way. Let me reveal to you a method of approaching gender equality which is absolutely impossible to interpret as sexism against the then status quo:

Don't be sexist.

It's that simple. The only way in which it is right to fight sexism, and I believe the only way in which sexism is actually being fought, is by just not being sexist. Write laws that say people can not in a professional context take gender into account when reviewing applicants for a position where gender is irrelevant, for instance. There is no way in which that is a sexist law.

If people stop being sexist there will be gender equality, full stop. That's all it takes. Simply don't be sexist yourself and you're contributing, do the sexism in the opposite direction spiel and you're just contributing to the problem.

Ununnilium
1262 Ratings

Post by Ununnilium »

Rufflesack wrote:This is the single most weird statement I've heard in a long time, and it's just plain wrong in every way. Let me reveal to you a method of approaching gender equality which is absolutely impossible to interpret as sexism against the then status quo:

Don't be sexist.

It's that simple. The only way in which it is right to fight sexism, and I believe the only way in which sexism is actually being fought, is by just not being sexist. Write laws that say people can not in a professional context take gender into account when reviewing applicants for a position where gender is irrelevant, for instance. There is no way in which that is a sexist law.

If people stop being sexist there will be gender equality, full stop. That's all it takes. Simply don't be sexist yourself and you're contributing, do the sexism in the opposite direction spiel and you're just contributing to the problem.

Late late late reply, but: I take my hat off to you, sir.

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

41 / 1330 = 3%

Highest ranked was 1995's The Brady Bunch. And I'm ashamed of that.
Lowest was 1998's The Parent Trap. Not so ashamed.

The hell is this crazy talk going on above me?

prowler
941 Ratings

Post by prowler »

Rufflesack wrote:do you have any evidence that it isn't simply because women are not as good as men at directing films? Maybe they all drop out of film school by choice. Maybe women have an unnaturally high prevalence of realizing midway through their film studies that they don't want to pursue that path. Don't misunderstand me now, I don't think either scenario is even close to being as likely as the more obvious sexism scenario, but these are all things that you need to consider before deciding to act upon a "problem".

uhh yeah. isn't even considering this sexist in itself, taking a male-centric perspective on cinema and judging women for not aligning to it?

sorry for the late reply, hadn't noticed your post before.

i liked your "don't be sexist" speech but i think it's never that easy