What proportion of your ranked movies are American?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

What proportion of your ranked movies are American?

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Re: What proportion of your ranked movies are American?

Post by TheDenizen »

1448 of 2094 at the moment. Approx 69%

Interesting. I'd have thought with the high number of samurai, kung fu and Spaghetti Westerns I've seen that percentage would be lower.

EDIT: Ah, according to my DVD collection database, films of US origin account for 333 of the 918 movies I own. Approx 32%, which is more in line with the percentage I was expecting. I'd guess my Criticker value is so different based on the huge number of American movies I saw as a kid that I don't own. That number must be bigger than I thought :P

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

43% here.
Considering that I try to rate every film I've seen in my life and 90% films I was watching until the age of 13-14 were American I'd guess that this number will slowly decrease in time. About 1/3 of films I watch currently are from US.

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

2393/3610=66%

That seems about right. I'm probably less discerning when watching US films than from other countries, the split in tiers 10 and 9 is much closer to 50/50. I'll watch great films from anywhere, but when it comes to mediocre films to pass the time I'm more likely to go with a US film.

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

Interesting question.

For me it's 696 out of 969 (whoa), about 72%. It makes sense, I'm supposing with time it will drop but I don't think it will ever go as far as less than 60%.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Around 60%. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess it's like comfort food. Except that now and then you try a Lynchian hotdog that tastes like a sighing peach.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

68%
low sample size so far though

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

126/676
18.6%

Why are you all so obsessed with American movies? :D

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Haha mine proportion is going to look really bad.
According to criticker 457 of the 480 films I've ranked are American for a grand percentage of 95%.
It might be a little lower as I've noticed that Pan's Labyrinth is listed (and I'm pretty sure that isn't American), but not much.

This really doesn't surprise me at all, I've just really never had the desire to watch foreign films. Not because I think they are going to be bad (Pan's Labyrinth is in my 10th tier), but I've just never been interested much in them. Besides, I've hardly seen a fraction of the American "classics". According to criticker just 19/480 films I've seen were made before 1970. So honestly a lot of the "classics" I haven't seen are on my to do list.

MMAlpha
1146 Ratings

Post by MMAlpha »

949 out of 1564, or 60.7%. Like a few of the posters here, most of the non-American films I've seen are canonical classics, while a fair few of the American films are the schlock I watched when growing up. That said, my two favourite genres (film noir and westerns) are both significant parts of the American cinema.