What proportion of your ranked movies are American?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: What proportion of your ranked movies are American?

Post by MmzHrrdb »

624/938 = ~66%

waaaaay too much. need to start watching more foreign movies

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

87% USA, 33% non-USA. I love Hollywood films and I'm not ashamed to say it!

Does anyone have data on what proportion of the world's films come out of the United States?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

nauru wrote:87% USA, 33% non-USA. I love Hollywood films and I'm not ashamed to say it!

Does anyone have data on what proportion of the world's films come out of the United States?

Definitely an extremely small minority.

According to Boxofficemojo.com, there are usually somewhere around 600 commercially released pictures in US theaters per year. This doesn't include the straight-to-DVD market, but does include many foreign films that make it over here.

Regardless, it's a drop in the bucket compared to all the other film centers in the world.

Bollywood alone releases anywhere between 100 to 1000 pictures per year, depending on the source. (I'm trying to get this question resolved!)

JooJoo
6022 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

58% for me. Approaching a 50/50 ratio would be ideal.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

paulofilmo wrote:Around 60%. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess it's like comfort food. Except that now and then you try a Lynchian hotdog that tastes like a sighing peach.

It's now 165.0143578493736288293%

Santa has given me memory loss for Christmas.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

nauru wrote:87% USA, 33% non-USA. I love Hollywood films and I'm not ashamed to say it!

Those numbers add up to 120%...something's off there unless you're counting films with more than one country listed multiple times.

also according to this link: http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-te ... n-map.html

Out of the total number of films produced in the the Top 10 film producing countries in the year 2003-2004, American productions accounted for a mere 543/2908 features, approx 19% This is a few years out of date to be sure, and doesn't include the recent rise of Nigerian films, which I'm sure I've read has surpassed the annual film production in the States. It's pretty much certain that the current percentage is lower than 19%, though it would be hard to guess by how much.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

TheDenizen wrote:

Those numbers add up to 120%...something's off there unless you're counting films with more than one country listed multiple times.

also according to this link: http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-te ... n-map.html

Out of the total number of films produced in the the Top 10 film producing countries in the year 2003-2004, American productions accounted for a mere 543/2908 features, approx 19% This is a few years out of date to be sure, and doesn't include the recent rise of Nigerian films, which I'm sure I've read has surpassed the annual film production in the States. It's pretty much certain that the current percentage is lower than 19%, though it would be hard to guess by how much.

How do they count this? Are these numbers for cinema premiers only or what? Because if you count all the movies made in this years (including STV titles) this will look completely different. Nigeria made 321 films in 2003 according to imdb, but there is a shitload of their movies not on this database, so I'd guess it's probably few hundred's more. US has >4000 films made every year (including STV) on imdb. Without information how they define "feature film" this map is completely worthless.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

edkrak wrote:Without information how they define "feature film" this map is completely worthless.

More or less, yeah. The raw numbers might not mean much, but presumably they defined "feature film" the same for each country in question, so it's OK as a rough/general indicator of proportions.

zae
2154 Ratings

Post by zae »

542/1043 ranked films listed as USA. 52%. 644, or 61.7%, listed as non-USA.

Also:
21.8% Japanese.
7.5% China/Hong Kong/Taiwan.
7.3% Korean.
3.5% Scandinavian/Nordic. (Should try to get this percentage up. It's where I'm from, after all)

Gregzilla
2114 Ratings

Post by Gregzilla »

846/1327 = 64%. seems to be close to the average for those who posted.

Japan is 2nd with about 10%
UK is at 9.5%
Italy at 5%
France at 4%