Great supporting actors who never get the lead

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
iconogassed
7281 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Great supporting actors who never get the lead

Post by iconogassed »

Shea Whigham seems overdue for something. Looking over his credits, it's really all bridesmaids. One of those new tuff noir guyz (Zahler, Saulnier, Macon Blair) should do something about that. He's also hilarious--see Vice Principals.

James Urbaniak, also incredibly funny and talented but perhaps too odd-looking for anyone but Hal Hartley to have put out front. I think my number one dream movie is him in a film about the last days of Andy Warhol.

Tracy Letts making his late-career leap to a-list character actor has been one of the more pleasant surprises of my adult moviegoing life. The Lovers proved he more than has the chops for a romantic lead, though playing opposite Debra Winger probably had something to do with that. (That movie has gotten better and better in my mind since I saw it, and I already liked it plenty then.) Nothing else lined up, unfortunately.

The Lovers also features the fabulous Melora Walters in memorable support. An actress with unusual qualities who has never really gotten the chance to show if they can be sustained for a whole movie.

I was going to say Carrie Preston but it looks like she's gotten top-billing in a few recent things that went virtually unseen. Not good enough!