Who are the ten directors you have seen the most films by?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
TheDenizen
3114 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Who are the ten directors you have seen the most films b

Post by TheDenizen »

edkrak wrote:Lucio Fulci 68.89, 9 Barely made it, but a good guess Deni :)

Haha, awesome.

Uwe Boll has actually directed 20 films? I'm shocked.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

looks something like

Post by paulofilmo »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

TheDenizen wrote:Uwe Boll has actually directed 20 films? I'm shocked.

He has 5 more films on criticker which I haven't seen, and a new one is currently filming that I'm actually looking forward to: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2368553/

"The action thriller centres on an ordinary New Yorker who goes on the rampage shooting investment bankers as a way of exacting revenge after losing everything in the Wall Street meltdown on 2008."

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Jorg wrote:
TheDenizen wrote:Uwe Boll has actually directed 20 films? I'm shocked.

He has 5 more films on criticker which I haven't seen, and a new one is currently filming that I'm actually looking forward to: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2368553/

"The action thriller centres on an ordinary New Yorker who goes on the rampage shooting investment bankers as a way of exacting revenge after losing everything in the Wall Street meltdown on 2008."

So he's basically remaking a really shitty film he already made in 2009? And you're looking forward to it?

Anyways, my own list doesn't do a great job of showing off my favorites. Ignoring directors who only made animated shorts, I have;

1. Spielberg, 17 movies, 55.12
2. John Landis, 10 movies, 63.80
3. John Woo, 10 movies, 62.90
4. Francis Ford Coppola, 10 movies, 60.70
5. Tim Burton, 9 movies, 67.44 (high rating because I have watched so little of his post-95' trash)
6. Robert Rodriguez, 9 movies, 60.78
7. Richad Donner, 9 movies, 60.11
8. Ron Howard, 9 movies, 49.11 (only T4 or lower...)
9. Sammo Hung 8 movies, 72.88 (highest rating)
10. Joel and Ethan Coen, 8 movies, 70.75 (second highest rating)

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

ShogunRua wrote:So he's basically remaking a really shitty film he already made in 2009? And you're looking forward to it?

If you look past the overdone crappy/shaky cinematography of Rampage, I think there's actually a nice critique in there about a self-serving society.. So yeah, apart from the fact that it's in a different environment and a different protagonist, they could end up having similar themes. Also, there are some cool actors in that Bailout movie.. John Hurt is supposed to be in it, as well as Eric Roberts..

I thought Rampage was decent, not good, and judging from the imdb score (which is already biased because of boll-bashers), only a minority seems to think that it's 'really shitty'.. Boll's films seem to be improving, except for when he self-admittedly goes for the easy money with another crappy game-movie sequel, and I actually think he's one of the most interesting directors working today (I also like his taste in movies which he frequently expresses in interviews.. here's one of them: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... r_a_retard )

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Jorg wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:So he's basically remaking a really shitty film he already made in 2009? And you're looking forward to it?

If you look past the overdone crappy/shaky cinematography of Rampage, I think there's actually a nice critique in there about a self-serving society.. So yeah, apart from the fact that it's in a different environment and a different protagonist, they could end up having similar themes. Also, there are some cool actors in that Bailout movie.. John Hurt is supposed to be in it, as well as Eric Roberts..

Yeah, not so much. "Rampage" was an intensely stupid film that repeated the same inaccurate slogans over and over again. These include doomsday projections about "population explosion" that were largely debunked by the early 19th century and the popular "dwindling natural resources" argument which completely ignores technological innovation.

What I'm try to say is that Uwe Boll is a fucking idiot talking about complex issues on a third grade level in "Rampage". That's not "a nice critique about a self-serving society"; that's a self-serving exploitation film with a few pothead cliches thrown in to make it seem "deep".

Jorg wrote:I thought Rampage was decent, not good, and judging from the imdb score (which is already biased because of boll-bashers), only a minority seems to think that it's 'really shitty'..

I've noticed in this other topics, but you seem to be REALLY obsessed with imdb scores and metacritic rankings. Why? Who cares?

In this case, it doesn't even make sense, since the imdb rating for Rampage is roughly average; a 6.3. Its ratings on other sites (including here and metacritic) are much worse.

Jorg wrote:Boll's films seem to be improving, except for when he self-admittedly goes for the
easy money with another crappy game-movie sequel,

They're "improving"?! You mean like this video (calling it a "film" would be an insult to the medium);

http://www.criticker.com/film/Blubberella/

I watched it and it's WORSE than Bloodrayne!

Jorg wrote:and I actually think he's one of the most interesting directors working today (I also like his taste in movies which he frequently expresses in interviews.. here's one of them: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... r_a_retard )

Well, I'm glad to see that Uwe Boll has his fans. It's why he continues to release videos.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

ShogunRua wrote:http://www.criticker.com/film/Blubberella/

I watched it and it's WORSE than Bloodrayne!

I don't know if it's worse than Bloodrayne, but yeah it was pretty bad. Boll himself also thinks it was crap. It was shot with simultaneously with 2 other movies, and almost no money/effort was put into it, so it's not really a surprise. Still, some scenes, e.g. the one with the gay character spraying air freshener in a train car filled with Jews, were so cheap/bad they made me laugh (you probably missed a lot of those 'jokes' because they weren't in the first 10 minutes iirc).

Attack on Darfur (2009) is probably his most accomplished movie, although it also has the problem of the overdone shakycam. You might wanna check out that one sometime to maybe see why some people think that he does show some potential as a film/video maker.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

My top 10 are:
David Cronenberg 13 Films 78.15 AVG
Joel and Ethan Coen 13 films 72 AVG
Martin Scorsese 11 Films 80.09 AVG
Steven Spielberg 10 Films 75 AVG
Christopher Nolan 7 Films 87 AVG
Francis Ford Coppola 7 Films 84.29 AVG
Peter Jackson 7 Films 83.14 AVG
Sidney Lumet 7 Films 82.57 AVG
Robert Altman 7 Films 78.29 AVG
David Fincher 7 Films 75.43 AVG

Although I enjoy the films of the above and they are indicative of my preferences, this list does not include a few of my favorite directors simply because they have not directed enough films yet. Mostly this refers to Paul Thomas Anderson and Darren Aronofsky who have each only directed 5 feature films, but who I consider to be favorites.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

(favorite movie by each)

[spoiler]Hitchcock - 24 (Rebecca)
Ray - 18 (On Dangerous Ground)
Eastwood - 17 (High Plains Drifter)
Allen - 14 (The Purple Rose of Cairo)
Hartley - 13 (Trust)
Ford - 12 (The Grapes of Wrath)
Wilder - 12 (Ace in the Hole)