Which directors have you seen all their features?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Which directors have you seen all their features?

Post by ShogunRua »

movieboy wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:If she was an overweight male comic, Tina Fey would have no career.

As I wrote before, I don't think 30 Rock is a very funny show or anything. But Tina Fey was overweight when she joined SNL as a writer. And she became the headwriter of SNL. This was before she started doing roles in SNL. Of course, she wasn't male at any time.

Are we talking about the same SNL that has been unwatchable shit for the last 15 years? THAT SNL?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

movieboy wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:Are we talking about the same SNL that has been unwatchable shit for the last 15 years? THAT SNL?

I am just trying to refute your statement that she would have no career. For that purpose, the watch-ability of SNL is not relevant. SNL is one of the longest running shows and I assume it pays well & is it considered a good job.

I agree with you that she would still have a career as a hack writer unknown to normal people if she was a fat guy. But she would not have a career as a major movie and television star in that case.

stuie299
1450 Ratings

Post by stuie299 »

While 30 Rock isn't one of my favorite TV shows its certainly not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Though I am probably more of a Comedy guy then most people (on criticker and in general). I think the show is at its best when it includes a lot of different characters. The biggest problem is that their is usually one annoying plot line per episode (mostly stuff having to do with Jenna or Liz and on rare occasions Jack). Its kinda weird. Most characters are at their best when they are treated as supporting characters.

As for SNL the show always had those couple of funny sketches that made it worth watching. It wasn't until Seth Myers took over as head writer that the show became unwatchable. It also didn't help that the casting changes became uneven. After Tina Fey and Amy Pohler left and especially after Will Forte left they never really brought in as high quality of talent as they used to. Though I think Bobby Moynihan was/is criminally undervalued.

Neonman
2873 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

Being the completionist that I am, I try to entirely scope a filmmakers filmography if I'm really digging them -- which isn't always a good thing, since you see that a director you love can cock up sometimes (though it may be due to production interference, bad screenplay, not enough money, was dying whilst making it, etc). Here's my list of filmmakers I've managed to get through, feature films only.

Paul Thomas Anderson
Darren Aranofsky
Christopher Nolan
Gaspar Noe
Lynn Ramsay
Andrei Tarkovsky
David Fincher
Miranda July
Harmony Korine
Terrence Malick
Charlie Kaufman
Charles Laughton
Steve McQueen
Spike Jonze

I'm hoping to venture through Jean Vigo's filmography soon.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

lars von trier is the only one i think of, excluding nymphomaniac. other directors i've seen a lot by:

lynch 9/10
kubrick 10/13
nolan 6/9
fincher 7/9
coens 10/15

of course the directors i've seen the most films by also tend to have massive filmographies.

hitchcock 17/~56
godard 15/~80
bergman 15/~45

i do hope to clean up lynch and kubrick sometime not too far away, though i'm not expecting much from their remaining pictures (dune ; spartacus/fear and desire/killer's kiss).

zae
2154 Ratings

Post by zae »

Directors with more than 5 films that I've seen every feature by:
The Coens (16)
Takeshi Kitano (16)
Stanley Kubrick (13)
Terry Gilliam (12 - Zero Theorem not out here yet)
Hayao Miyazaki (11)
Kim Ji-Woon (9, excluding 3 Extremes II which he directed a third of)
Quentin Tarantino (8 - the co-directed Four Rooms not included)
Wes Anderson (7 - The Grand Budapest Hotel not out here yet)
Katsuhito Ishii (7)
Edgar Wright (6)
Darren Aronofsky (5)

Some others are Satoshi Kon (who sadly died of cancer leaving his 5th film unfinished), Jeff Nichols, Joss Whedon...

Directors with only one film I haven't seen yet include Terrence Malick, Tomas Alfredson, Toshiaki Toyoda and Tetsuya Nakashima.

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

There are several directors I've seen all but one or two films by, but I only found two that I've seen everything by.

Matthew Vaughn I've seen 4 out of 4 (Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class, Layer Cake, and Stardust)
Lee Unkrich who does Pixar films, and only 4 of those, apparently.

I've never heard of Unkrich, so that's quite by accident, but I actually quite like Matthew Vaughn's films. According to standards in other threads, he'd be my 15th favorite director.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

It never really occurred to me this was a thing. Only ones I know of:

Lynch 12 - I think that's all the features, gotta catch industrial symphony sometime
Ben Wheatley 4/4
Jerry Zucker 6/6 after realising I hadn't ranked first knight

and 5/5 for Charlie Kaufman but only one is for directing.

Now I've got the idea in my head I'm going to try and see all the Kubricks.

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

Among those who directed at least 3 features, I think Kubrick is the only one. Oh, and Miyazaki, although I didn't bother ranking some of them. There are however several working directors of whom I've seen all features up to 2010 or so.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

@agosto - what are the twelve features by lynch? he's only directed ten major features i think, unless you're counting rabbits and more things that happened...