Ed Norton

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Ed Norton

Post by Stewball »

movieboy wrote:Why hasn't he done more great movies? Is he choosing badly or is his slight frame and boyish looks a disadvantage for him? Or have I missed his great movies? Of the movies I haven't seen 'Leaves of Grass' is the only one which seems interesting.

Fight Club was his best, and his performance in The Bourne Legacy was close to that in a supporting role. He was a huge drag in The Italian Job.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

I never thought he had much range, but I also haven't seen as many Norton pictures as you have.

I always thought he was a decent hand who turned in good performances with the right script and director (Fight Club, for instance) and mediocre, forgettable ones with a lousy script and director. (For me, the atrocious The Italian Job re-make)

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

He's a very talented guy, I sometimes think of him as an 'action-movied-up' John Cusack. Like Cusack he's private, serious and cerebral, far less prolific though. Can't imagine he's short of offers so I'd guess he's picky but his cameos in The Invention of Lying and The Dictator perhaps hint he's trying to broaden his range. I've not seen Moonrise Kingdom but it's showing a PSI of 4/5 and looks like something 'lighter'.

I really enjoyed The Painted Veil which he also produced. The only other I've seen that he's produced was 25th hour which I watched a long time ago, I'd give it a re-watch now. He's down as a producer for Thanks for Sharing which looks like a good little drama, I've no PSI for that yet (Stewball liked it though). Quality-wise I don't see a split between films he's produced and others, no easy passion-project/pay-check divide, just makes him more interesting to me.

Fight Club 5/5

The Painted Veil 4/5

American History X 3/5
The Illusionist
25th Hour
The Invention of Lying
Kingdom of Heaven

Red Dragon 2/5
The dictator
The Incredible Hulk

Italian Job 1/5

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I've since seen Leaves of Grass and Birdman, both of which are outstanding performances that go a long way to making both movies 9/10. Both have very involved dialogues, and I wonder how much of the obnoxious genius of his character (Mike) in Birdman was grafted from Norton.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

I think Norton is at his best with a semi-menacing character. Although Primal Fear was fairly mid level as far as movies go, his debut was pretty impressive. Fight Club, American History X etc. He obviously works sparingly by choice and his run ins with studios and directors label him hard to work with as well.

Dabbler
75 Ratings

Post by Dabbler »

To the OP: Yes you should definitely see Leaves of Grass and also the latest Wes Anderson piece, Moonrise Kingdom to get a glimpse of Norton's more tender side as well as his comedic chops. I agree that Norton is one of the best actors in Hollywood and has the resume to prove it. Pretty exclusive club of actors that can do drama and comedy and do both equally well. Reminds me of a young De Niro. Probably not a traditional Hollywood leading man or beefcake alpha though, so guys like Pitt, Clooney, Tatum, Dicaprio, Cooper, Bale, Duane Johnson, and Diesel will get those roles. Probably top five contemporary for me along with Dicaprio, Bale, Gylenthall, and Tom Hardy.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Dabbler wrote:To the OP: Yes you should definitely see Leaves of Grass and also the latest Wes Anderson piece, Moonrise Kingdom to get a glimpse of Norton's more tender side as well as his comedic chops. I agree that Norton is one of the best actors in Hollywood and has the resume to prove it. Pretty exclusive club of actors that can do drama and comedy and do both equally well. Reminds me of a young De Niro. Probably not a traditional Hollywood leading man or beefcake alpha though, so guys like Pitt, Clooney, Tatum, Dicaprio, Cooper, Bale, Duane Johnson, and Diesel will get those roles. Probably top five contemporary for me along with Dicaprio, Bale, Gylenthall, and Tom Hardy.

I'd put Bradley Cooper in there as well. I know he's got a pretty face and all, but I think that just makes a lot of people delete him from the top tier, thinking that's all he is without looking any further. And Samuel L. Jackson belongs in there somewhere too. I know that makes seven, so sue me. It still rounds off to five. 8-)

Dabbler
75 Ratings

Post by Dabbler »

Stewball wrote:
Dabbler wrote:To the OP: Yes you should definitely see Leaves of Grass and also the latest Wes Anderson piece, Moonrise Kingdom to get a glimpse of Norton's more tender side as well as his comedic chops. I agree that Norton is one of the best actors in Hollywood and has the resume to prove it. Pretty exclusive club of actors that can do drama and comedy and do both equally well. Reminds me of a young De Niro. Probably not a traditional Hollywood leading man or beefcake alpha though, so guys like Pitt, Clooney, Tatum, Dicaprio, Cooper, Bale, Duane Johnson, and Diesel will get those roles. Probably top five contemporary for me along with Dicaprio, Bale, Gylenthall, and Tom Hardy.

I'd put Bradley Cooper in there as well. I know he's got a pretty face and all, but I think that just makes a lot of people delete him from the top tier, thinking that's all he is without looking any further. And Samuel L. Jackson belongs in there somewhere too. I know that makes seven, so sue me. It still rounds off to five. 8-)

Makes perfect sense to me. I mean how can I argue with someone who has Kid Shelleen aka Lee Marvin in their avatar. ;)

You're right about Cooper I imagine. But still, not sure that the body of work is there to support it. And I have to deduct a couple points just because he appeared in Hangover. As far as Jackson, I'd put him more in the old guard, and he does too many Tarantino pieces AND he's a shill for Capital One. Regarding male African American leads, I've always preferred Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington because of the sensitivity they can bring to a role. I just don't detect the yin to Jackson's testosterone fueled yang I suppose.

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Dabbler wrote:also the latest Wes Anderson piece, Moonrise Kingdom

Have you not heard of The Grand Budapest Hotel? The latest Anderson feature stars, among an ensamble cast as usual, Norton as well.

Dabbler
75 Ratings

Post by Dabbler »

bercutio wrote:
Dabbler wrote:also the latest Wes Anderson piece, Moonrise Kingdom

Have you not heard of The Grand Budapest Hotel? The latest Anderson feature stars, among an ensamble cast as usual, Norton as well.

Like Anderson's work, have to check that out, thank you.