Samuel L. Jackson

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Samuel L. Jackson

Post by Stewball »

This is most definitely NOT in honor of Black History Month, but because even political correctness can get it right once in a blue moon, I'd like to point out one of the most talented actors around, black, white or color blind, is Samuel L. Jackson. I guess one could say that, well yeah, with all the roles he's had, he'd have to get some of them right. Yes there are several throwaways due to having a bad shoot, lack of discrimination (er, bad choice of words, um) role selection process, or sheer volume, but the ones that clicked are instant classics. In fact, he is so ubiquitous, he could probably replace Kevin Bacon in that regard, dropping the "degrees of" down to 4 or 3 in the process.

Of course I'm compelled to list a few of his best, at least of the ones I've seen:

Hateful Eight
Sunset Limited
Kingsmen: The Secret Service
Resurrecting the Champ
Black Snake Moan
(my favorite)
The Red Violin
The Negotiator
Pulp Fiction
(His breakout defining role. One wonders how different that would have been if not for the serendipitous use of the wig he ended up wearing instead of the Afro Tarantino had ordered. [Oooo, another non-reference to BHM.]) (I guess his other less flattering defining role would have to be Snakes on a Plane, and though I never saw it, I heard it's a real motherfucker. :roll: )

Up next, how about we nominate May as Oriental, er Asian History Month--what with May 1st kicking it off and being International Worker's Day and all. (Wait, aren't Russians Oriental, and/or Asians. It's sort of another take on the Nelson Mandela being African-American conundrum.) But for the life of me, I can't think of a decent actor of that racial persuasion. I mean Bruce Lee or Jakie Chan, no way; and George Takei would be exponential political correctness. Maybe Lucy Liu as actress. This may not work. We'd have a built in conflict what with Hispanics having staked out May with Cinco de Mayo. Would Indians qualify as Asians, India Indians that is. Oh God, then what about American Indians! No, wait they're Aboriginal Americans now. Just lump 'em all into August, it's so damned hot people don't want to do anything then anyway--except it's Winter for the Aborigines down under. *Sigh*

Maybe they could all just go out into the Pacific somewhere and settle it. Just let the liberals know the outcome so they can keep their PC database up to date. Let's hope the flux rate doesn't get out of hand before they get a chance to load it up on a quantum computer as soon as one is up an running. What a tragedy that would be if it crashed. Image

Please let not this satirical aside detract from my true appreciation of SLJ's talent and filmographic catalogue as an actor; though it would be nice if he'd get his mf ducks in a row politically.
Last edited by Stewball on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Re: Samuel L. Jackson

Post by Suture Self »

You should definitely check out Jackie Brown if you haven't already. He's great in that.

djross
5326 Ratings

Post by djross »

Everybody loved Stacks.

mattorama12
3094 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

I definitely second some of the ones already mentioned, and agree that you should check out Jackie Brown if you haven't already. I know you (Stewie) also love a good soundtrack, and Jackie Brown is an all-timer.

Some other roles I really like:
Kingsmen: The Secret Service - He plays against type, but hams it up perfectly for the character. Lots of people complained about the lisp, but I got over it pretty quickly. Apparently that was a character trait he came up with, channeling his own struggle to overcome a lisp as a kid.

The Other Guys - He plays a very small part in it, but his scenes with The Rock are absolutely hilarious.

Basic - An underrated movie in my opinion. But more relevant for this topic, I think it's one of SLJ's stronger performances.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

SLJ was the best thing about Die Hard with a Vengeance

MacSwell
2721 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

He was outstanding in Django Unchained too, dontcha think?

Hard Eight was a lesser role I also greatly appreciated.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

djross wrote:Everybody loved Stacks.

Yes, RIP.

I actually watched Jackie Brown a couple of years ago and it, including the music (mostly Motown which I'm not big on, bad thing to say during BHM I know, but whatryagonnado), was a disappointment. Rated it 60, and can barely remember what happened, mostly, I think, because I couldn't bring myself to care.

As for Django, I really liked it, but I thought Jackson's character was the biggest weakness, due to the writing and, I guess, directing. It's like they had him there and were trying to find something for him to do to be on screen for. IDK.

And yeah, mattorama, I meant to include Kingsman, so I backed it in, thanks.

mattorama12
3094 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Stewball wrote:I actually watched Jackie Brown a couple of years ago and it, including the music (mostly Motown which I'm not big on, bad thing to say during BHM I know, but whatryagonnado), was a disappointment. Rated it 60, and can barely remember what happened, mostly, I think, because I couldn't bring myself to care.

Not too surprised that you didn't love the movie, it seems that most people I know thought it was mediocre. I personally loved it, but can understand why it's not as well regarded as Pulp Fiction or other Tarantino gems. The fact that you dislike the music is really depressing though. In the abstract, Motown is a solid genre--not my favorite, but up there. In film, though, it really shines. I'd say that it's absolutely the best genre for the medium.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

mattorama12 wrote:
Stewball wrote:I actually watched Jackie Brown a couple of years ago and it, including the music (mostly Motown which I'm not big on, bad thing to say during BHM I know, but whatryagonnado), was a disappointment. Rated it 60, and can barely remember what happened, mostly, I think, because I couldn't bring myself to care.

Not too surprised that you didn't love the movie, it seems that most people I know thought it was mediocre. I personally loved it, but can understand why it's not as well regarded as Pulp Fiction or other Tarantino gems. The fact that you dislike the music is really depressing though. In the abstract, Motown is a solid genre--not my favorite, but up there. In film, though, it really shines. I'd say that it's absolutely the best genre for the medium.

Music is two types of subjective: intuitive, and associative. For me, Motown is positive for neither. It's not my fault. For me it's just the matter of a double negative confluence. If I'd been brought up in Detroit instead of Atlanta, who knows, but I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't like it.

"Best genre for the medium"????? Even Tarantino only used it once, and apparently for a good reason. Hell, even Kubrick, and any number of other maestro directors, never used it. In fact, if a survey was taken, I'm pretty sure classical would be dominant--with rock/pop a close second, and with those two reversed in the last 30 years.