4. Andrei Tarkovsky
5. Jean-Pierre Melville

Honorable mentions :
Orson Welles
Ingmar Bergman
John Ford
Coen Brothers
Werner Herzog
Last edited by Jeb on Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: Top 5 Favorite Directors

Post by MmzHrrdb »

1. Stanley Kubrick
2. Akira Kurosawa
3. Martin Scorsese
4. Masaki Kobayashi
5. Sergio Leone/Alfred Hitchcock

Honorable mentions: Francois Truffaut, Jean-Pierre Melville, the Coen Brothers, and Billy Wilder.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

I haven't seen nearly enough films from specific directors. But the folks I think show the greatest potential for me to love:(in no particular order)

Victor Erice, PTA, Ron Fricke, Coen Brothers, Shane Meadows, Andrzej Wajda, Satyajit Ray, Lynne Ramsay, Isao Takahata, Jim Sheridan, Philip Leacock, Edward Zwick, Mike Nichols, Sergei M. Eisenstein, James Whale, Kaneto Shindô.

The ones in bold are the ones I've seen a few films of.

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

I'm on the same with paulofilmo here, though I must say that until proven otherwise, Stanley Kubrick will always be for me the greatest director in the history of filmmaking.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

The top 4 are easy. Picking #5 was tough. Leaving out so many other wonderful directors is heartbreaking.

1. Ingmar Bergman
2. Satyajit Ray
3. Akira Kurosawa
4. Alfred Hitchcock
5. Werner Herzog

The next 5: Krzysztof Kieslowski, Ming-liang Tsai, Luis Bunuel, Robert Bresson, Woody Allen

The rest: Bela Tarr, Francois Truffaut, Ritwik Ghatak, Emir Kusturica, Aki Kaurismaki, Anh Hung Tran, Wes Anderson, Stanley Kubrick, Roy Andersson, Jiang Wen, Orson Welles, Pedro Almodovar, Hayao Miyazaki, Kon Ichikawa, Kenji Mizoguchi, Peter Greenaway, Zhang Yimou, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, etc etc etc etc

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

FitFortDanga wrote:Kon Ichikawa

I've only seen The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain, both of which I love, and I've been really interested in seeing more from Ichikawa. I want to see Enjo and An Actor's Revenge (which I know you gave a 100) most, but nothing of his is readily available except Tokyo Olympiad. I can't get too excited for a three hour documentary about the Olympics, though.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

-BigEvil- wrote:
FitFortDanga wrote:Kon Ichikawa

I've only seen The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain, both of which I love, and I've been really interested in seeing more from Ichikawa. I want to see Enjo and An Actor's Revenge (which I know you gave a 100) most, but nothing of his is readily available except Tokyo Olympiad. I can't get too excited for a three hour documentary about the Olympics, though.

An Actor's Revenge is coming out on DVD October 14th (under the title "Revenge of a Kabuki Actor").

Dora-heita and The 47 Ronin are both available, but neither is an especially noteworthy film (Dora-heita has an interesting history, but the results aren't that spectacular).

I never would have expected to enjoy a 3-hour movie about sports, but Tokyo Olympiad is pretty damn good.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I will definitely be picking up An Actor's Revenge assuming the transfer is worthy.

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

1. Ingmar Bergman
2. Werner Herzog
3. Martin Scorsese
4. Akira Kurosawa
5. Sergio Leone

Alternative five
1. Jean-Luc Godard