Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
mattorama12
3086 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Directors You Hate

Post by mattorama12 »

FarCryss wrote:
mattorama12 wrote:
FarCryss wrote:Smoking a joint might also help.

Also good advice for movie watching generally

A few years ago I tried watching 2001: A Space Odyssey as stoned as I possibly could get in an attempt to recapture the pins and needles astonishment that overwhelmed me the first time I saw it as a young kid. I got close, but not close enough.

Still, yeah, joints and movies go well together, generally. Perhaps djross would be willing to watch Schindler's List if he was stoned???

I make it a habit to try to get high whenever I watch movies for the first time. When I (rewatched) Schindler's List about a year or so ago, I debated for a while whether it was a good idea for that movie. I went for it, and I'm honestly glad I did. Joints and movies just go together so well, even for a movie that depressing (there's no happy ending, as anybody who's seen it will attest to).

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

mattorama12 wrote:

Well, even shitty movies seem good when you're high.

It reminds me of Adam Carolla's rant on on reggae, and the people telling him that the music is meant to be enjoyed when you're relaxing on a beach, sipping on an alcoholic drink; "Hey assholes, I would argue that ANYTHING sounds good when you're sitting on a beach, sipping an alcoholic drink, including children being tortured to death".

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Guys, give djross a break. It's much more sensitive for Lanzmann to make a Holocaust survivor cry by endlessly berating him with questions about his experience than it is for Spielberg to show a fictional account to try and give the average person a better understanding of the horrors the Nazis committed. Spielberg=ass, alright.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

I'm not proud of it but, Manns' schadenfreude-tastic predicament did get a chuckle from me. Be interesting to see if it was pure tantrum or if he did actually -at least briefly- come into contact with reality there...

Spielberg-wise I think I agree with most, I enjoy some of his B-movie via Disney output. Technically he's very very good; something like Duel couldn't really be done any better, but also irritating. I saw Zizek slamming United 93 and other films for the 'everything happens for a reason' bullshit that infects so much cinema and TV these days and Spielberg's certainly guilty -perhaps more than most- of that.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

ShogunRua wrote:
mattorama12 wrote:

Well, even shitty movies seem good when you're high.

It reminds me of Adam Carolla's rant on on reggae, and the people telling him that the music is meant to be enjoyed when you're relaxing on a beach, sipping on an alcoholic drink; "Hey assholes, I would argue that ANYTHING sounds good when you're sitting on a beach, sipping an alcoholic drink, including children being tortured to death".

I disagree that shitty movies seem good when you're high. The Carolla point is well-taken, but I'm not arguing that any particular movie you think is shitty is good and that you simply need to watch it stoned to unlock its brilliance. I just mean that movie-watching, as an activity, is more fun while stoned. Shitty movies may be more tolerable when stoned (but that actually depends on why its shitty--boring movies are worse, cheesy movies are better), but they won't seem good (to me).

krf7
3517 Ratings

Post by krf7 »

Lars Von Trier is the only director that I truly loathe.

Only seen 3 of his movies, but I've seen enough snippets from his other movies that I know I would hate them too. Guy is completely demented, and as far as I can tell lacks any and all talent.

It's since been deleted from youtube, but I always loved watching the clip of Siskel & Ebert where they just rip Dogville to shreds as pretentious garbage.

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be hating David Yates. And my family will say to me, "After all this time?" And I will say, "Always.”

julesfmb
6149 Ratings

Post by julesfmb »

I just realized, there's not a single J.J. Abrams' film I like. Every director I "dislike" did at least one or two decent things (Even Zack Snyder!). Not him. :roll: