Directors You Hate

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
IDYmilkshake
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Directors You Hate

Post by IDYmilkshake »

Christopher Nolan is probably my current most-hated director.

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

movieboy wrote:
Jorg wrote:I don't get it how people can judge movies without watching them entirely..

I am not sure what's the definition of 'judge' here - I am rating the movie as to how much pleasure it gave me on a scale of 0-100.

Consider a 300 page book - I am not going to read 290 pages of stuff which doesn't interest me just because there may be a possibility that there may be be something interesting in the last 10 pages. I don't find it worth the effort. I may as well read a different 300 page book which may never get as interesting as the last 10 pages of the first book but overall keeps me at least engaged enough to go through the full 300 pages.

Also, I am not really questioning why you or the others rate the movie highly - I am just putting it down to different tastes in movies. As is obvious from looking at rankings for any movie on Criticker, there isn't any general formula for a good movie from everyone's point of view.

This is a formula for how to gauge your interest, not a formula for assessing a piece of work, which is probably why people consider your rating to be disingenuous.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Jeb wrote:Uwe Boll
M. Night Shyamalan
Michael Bay

Those would have to be my most hated. ;)

Well, the timely bumb in this thread brings it full circle. It looks like Michael Bay's lack of inspiration**, talent, and Image caught up with him in a perfect storm of brain lockup at the Consumer Electronics Show. The question that stumped him, "What do you think?"
ImageImage

**the pinnacle (read nadir) of which includes, Transformers...Transformers 2.... and....uhhhh...., Transformers 3......

td888
3955 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Stewball wrote:
Well, the timely bumb in this thread brings it full circle. It looks like Michael Bay's lack of inspiration**, talent, and Image caught up with him in a perfect storm of brain lockup at the Consumer Electronics Show.

Well, that's terrible to watch. He should have done a Bill O'Reilly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_HyZ5aW76c

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

td888 wrote:Well, that's terrible to watch. He should have done a Bill O'Reilly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_HyZ5aW76c

Yeah,
"which should I go for":

---Idiot or Asshole---

I can see where "Idiot" could definitely have an upside.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

spielberg is probably the easiest to hate for me. there are worse directors, but he's so acclaimed that his worthless sappy dreck seems shittier in comparison.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

lisagirl wrote:spielberg is probably the easiest to hate for me. there are worse directors, but he's so acclaimed that his worthless sappy dreck seems shittier in comparison.

This is an example of a correct opinion. Except maybe the bit about "there are worse directors."

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

I understand why somebody would hate Spielberg, but I don't think taking a stand against Spielberg means all that much, nor do I think Spielberg represents the kind of prophetical boogeyman that would lead to the death of cinema, which he's often caricatured as. A lot of wonderful filmmakers had great respect for Spielberg, namely Kubrick and Bergman, among others.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

FarCryss wrote:I don't think taking a stand against Spielberg means all that much

I don't know what "taking a stand" means here. I also don't know what "means that much" means here.

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

djross wrote:
FarCryss wrote:I don't think taking a stand against Spielberg means all that much

I don't know what "taking a stand" means here. I also don't know what "means that much" means here.

I think in some ways Spielberg is misunderstood and unfairly held responsible for things he wasn't necessarily responsible for. From what I've read and understand, Spielberg's movie-making was always a youth-oriented thing and started when he was incredibly young. B-movies, movies for teenagers , cheesy golden-age sci-fi -- that's what he liked. For better or worse, and with undeniable skill, his own shlocky B-movie approach became a blockbuster phenomenon (Jaws being the first example), and yeah, alongside George Lucas, made Hollywood shift towards a more youth-oriented focus on action and spectacle. If it's a matter of blame, I'd be more willing to blame the public and the industry, rather than a single filmmaker. At least in the 70s and 80s, I don't believe Spielberg fed the audience what they wanted in an attempt to make a ton of money, but, like Tarantino, made movies as if he himself was the audience, and connected with boring suburban Americans because he was a highly articulate suburban American from LA.

But If I'm being honest, I often find B-movies really entertaining, and in that spirit, I think movies like Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Jurassic Park are great entertainment. I'm not above B-level entertainment in the same way that I'm not above laughing when a friend of mine walks into a sliding glass door, or oohing and aahhing when people light off really expensive fireworks - perhaps it's infantile, but I'm only human.

What's your take on B-movies?

Spielberg is at his most embarrassing when he tries to rise above his typical shlock. Saving Private Ryan in particular makes me laugh. Here's a hilarious quote that displays his preference for spectacle over narrative:

"Former general, (later Secretary-of-State), Colin Powell asked Steven Spielberg: "Why didn't the soldiers just blow up the bridge before the battle began, which would have been the intelligent thing to do, (even though it would have gone against their orders)?" Mr. Spielberg's reply was: "That blowing up the bridge at the start of the battle, (with the Allies on the defensive side of the river), would not have been as dramatic as what is shown on film."