Acting musicians

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
iconogassed
7281 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Acting musicians

Post by iconogassed »

Curious about others' thoughts. The Criticker collections have now been consolidated into: Movies with acting musicians

I think Björk in Dancer in the Dark is the gold standard for sheer power. Two-Lane Blacktop's Taylor-Wilson twofer for sheer fascination.

Country singers seem to be disproportionately successful in the transition, relative to musicians in other genres. Willie Nelson is wonderful as a skewed version of himself in Songwriter, where he outshines Kris Kristofferson, who has given many fine performances. As has Dwight Yoakam: his Raoul in Panic Room is the best thing about that movie, and one of the few performances I might possibly consider agreeing is actually "chilling". Randy Travis is very amusing in Black Dog (which also features Meat Loaf camping it up amiably) and even Tim McGraw is intimidatingly good as a dick football dad in Friday Night Lights.

Dolly haters, kindly step to the left (into a cow patty).

Hip-hop musicians have historically gotten a bad rap, but few actresses can exude a sense of joy and play like Queen Latifah, and fewer first-timers have equipped themselves as well dramatically as Eminem did in 8 Mile. I also enjoy all the Ices and Tones to varying degrees.

Oddly, aside from Bowie and Tom Waits, rock musicians haven't made much of an impression on me. X's John Doe is okay in Georgia and Roadside Prophets. Hugh Dillon from The Headstones is good in Down to the Bone, but Vera Farmiga does most of the work.

Art Garfunkel rules. Rick Springfield droolz.
Last edited by iconogassed on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

coffee
2376 Ratings

Re: Acting musicans

Post by coffee »

Musican or musican't? That's the problem.

When the real musican is unable to perform the acting musican takes his/her place and muse the people. :geek:

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Re: Acting musicians

Post by iconogassed »

Ah, yes. Forgot an I.

If only I could forget U :(

metalhank
3473 Ratings

Re: Acting musicians

Post by metalhank »

hahaha

I am apparently one of the very few who have seen Ned Kelly https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066130. I found a quite young Mick Jagger entertaining in it.