70s Soviet science fiction film?

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings
Your TCI: na

70s Soviet science fiction film?

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Please help. I watched this film as an installation at a museum a few years ago. The exhibit was about the differences between Soviet and American futurist architecture, and this film was shown as an example of the Soviet futurist style.

I'm probably misremembering some of the details, but this is what I recall from it:

Colour film (from the 60s or 70s) Soviet sci-fi inspired by the Space Race, about a crew of cosmonauts orbiting a planet that they are studying. One of the crew goes down to the surface, but a storm hits and he loses communication with the rest of the crew, and two other crewmembers (alongside a robot that kind of looks like a giant R2D2) go down to the planet's surface to rescue him, but if they all don't get back to the ship in a certain amount of time they will be left behind. There's a woman cosmonaut monitoring the crew's progress back on the ship and she narrates the movie through monologues. The planet is Earth-like with volcanoes and oceans. The crew finds the ruins of an ancient advanced alien civilization. I think they go underwater at some point. There's a hover car and the crew has vaguely Star Trek looking uniforms. The pace was slower and more philosophical, it was not really an action film. At the end of the film the robot dies, as the rest of the crew has to sacrifice him to get past a lava floe. The robot was invented by one of the cosmonauts and it's a sad moment between "father" and "son".

I also think the title might have been two titles separated by a colon, but I'm not sure about that.

djross
5318 Ratings

Re: 70s Soviet science fiction film?

Post by djross »

Sounds like a 1962 movie I haven't seen called Planeta Bur. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTF23EFvEM

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Re: 70s Soviet science fiction film?

Post by CosmicMonkey »

djross wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:25 am
Sounds like a 1962 movie I haven't seen called Planeta Bur. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTF23EFvEM
Yes, this is it! Thank you!

(I can't believe I forgot about all the dinosaurs)