[unsolved] heist: liquefied gold bars pumped into fire truck

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

[unsolved] heist: liquefied gold bars pumped into fire truck

Post by livelove »

All I can remember about this movie is:
    • plot: the main bad guy steals gold bars (or diamonds or something similarly valuable) from a bank by liquefying them and then/later pumping the liquid into a fire truck (possibly together with sewage water)
      release year: 80ies or more likely 90ies (as I saw it in the 90ies)
      popularity: mainstream Hollywood blockbuster type movie (not an obscure, unknown film)
      genre: heist / action / thriller ... ? definitely not a comedy
      type/format: I'd say 90% chances of a feature film with cinema release, 8% direct-to-DVD release, 2% TV movie. I can completely rule out episodes of TV series (0%).
    Please bear in mind that parts of my description may be wrong. It's been many years since I saw this and I have only vague recollections.
    Fire at will! Any tip is appreciated. Thank you so much.

I thought it could be one of the Batman movies or Die Hard 3 but during fast-forward I couldn't find the heist scene I am describing above ...
    Last edited by livelove on Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:15 am, edited 8 times in total.

Aparijith
    0 Ratings

Re: [unsolved] heist: liquefied gold bars pumped into fire truck

Post by Aparijith »

Not from the 90's but 2012 released film "Stolen" has a heist scene where they liquefy the gold bars

livelove
    67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

many thanks for your help!
    (all the more so as this is your 1st posting here!)

The film I am looking for was definitely released prior to 2002.
    But I will have a look at it anyways, maybe it is a remake of the film you mentioned.

EDIT:
    I looked up your film and found no remakes (other than an old episode of a TV-series unkown to me) ...

MrC
    18 Ratings

Post by MrC »

Maybe a series and not a film?
    Found this on another forum:

There was an episode of the original Mission: Impossible S3E4 which did the gold through a whole bit. They drilled up through the floor ... Here's the part in the IMDB synopsis which tells about it:

Meanwhile, IMF technical expert Barney Collier (Greg Morris) and muscle man Willy Armitage (Peter Lupus) carry out an elaborate plan to steal the mercenaries' gold. They drill up from a cave below into the vault where the gold is being held and use a complicated device to heat the vault to 2400 degrees, melting the gold and draining it through the floor, where they re-mold it back into ingots. After all the gold is sucked from the vault, the contraption seals the hole and repaints the floor, covering all traces of the theft. Barney and Willy quickly drive the gold out to an abandoned camp and bury it under a fireplace, getting out seconds before Rollin leads Krim and Karl to the 'other' gold. Krim then shoots Rollin, who pretends to die, and after Karl loads the gold into a false bottom in Jim's truck and sends him off, Krim kills Karl too.

If it is the scene I am thinking of, they visit the vault and leave a ball bearing (magnetic?) on the floor to roll to the lowest point which is where they then drill.

livelove
    67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated! I'm quite sure that's not it (although the plot is obviously pretty close!!). I generally don't fancy TV series too much, and in this instance I am very sure it was a movie (not a series). I will have a look though, as soon as I can get hold of this episode. In the meanwhile other suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you.

neurophate
    3314 Ratings

Post by neurophate »

Die Hard with a Vengeance?

livelove
    67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

ldsix wrote:Die Hard with a Vengeance?

see OP

BadCosmonaut
    4400 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

livelove
    67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

BadCosmonaut wrote:Is it Heist (2001)?

Thank you. I read the wiki link you gave me, but don't see any liquefaction/liquefying going on.
    Does that take place ?

MetaCritic2
    9021 Ratings

Post by MetaCritic2 »

Danger: Diabolik? It's an Italian movie from the '60s, but sounds similar.