Intelligent movies with no violence

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
nauru
1667 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Intelligent movies with no violence

Post by nauru »

Also check out Chronicle which has only a little violence.

Super 8 perhaps?

gdeangel
0 Ratings

Post by gdeangel »

It is really sad how CGI has injected sanitized violence into sci-fi in a sanitized way that George Lucas could only wish for when he was envisioning bloodless laser battles with a faceless army dressed in impeccably shiny white armor.

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest Blade Runner. There is some violence for sure, but it's tasteful and moderately paced in small doses. I consider it intellectual for the existential considerations of life, humanity, and devolution in the future. If that's too violent, try for Star Trek 3, which is maybe intellectual for it's conservationism. Interstellar might also fit your criteria. Robot & Frank is another recent one. I second Moon. Sleeper might be a good one; it's PG, but maybe over the head for a 9 y.o.

If you don't need to hold the kid's attention with sci-fi, other movies I'd suggest: Giddeon's Trumpet, The Caine Mutiny, The Agony and the Ecstasy, Grand Canyon (no violence, but it is R for language rating). I just thought of the Caine Mutiny because like the 6th sense it has that180 degree perspective flip, if that's what your looking for in terms of "intelligent". A lot of history films go the "war" or "wild west" route to get audiences, so it's hard to come up with something historical that doesn't have some violence in it. You could have your kid read the novel "Shane" and then watch the 1953 classic movie. It has one shootout, but whole point from the book is that the main character has forsaken guns.

MacSwell
2722 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Paper Moon would be great for someone that age if they can handle b&w.

I wish I'd seen it as a kid.