[SOLVED] Post-nuclear haulocaust movie about a romance in the Austrain outback?

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
gdeangel
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

[SOLVED] Post-nuclear haulocaust movie about a romance in the Austrain outback?

Post by gdeangel »

For some bizarre reason I got insomnia trying to think of the name of this movie I watched back in the early 90's. It was either a for-cable movie, or a lesser-known foreign title that got some late night HBO airing. I would have sworn the title was something like "[something]... for the end of the word ...[something]". Mostly I think it was about a romance either forming as a result of or enduring the onset of a nuclear war, through the vantage point of someplace where you wouldn't have flattened cities, but instead have a void in the order of the world left by the US and USSR blasting each other.

I have a feeling it was supposed to be in the Australian outback, or some type of similar area outside normal civilization, that they either flee to, or are trying to pass through to get to someplace safe. At some point they are in a small engine plane that just shuts down because - I'm pretty sure - it encounters and EMP (there was no FX, just every matter of fact) as part of a nuclear war that starts. After the plane goes down, the guy's arm is partially stuck to the door of the plane if I remember correctly, and he has to walk around with it for a while.

Trouble is everything I search keeps turning up that Steve Carell movie... which is definitely NOT it.
Last edited by gdeangel on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeAesthete
4206 Ratings

Re: Post-nuclear haulocaust movie about a romance in the Austrain outback?

Post by JakeAesthete »

You're thinking of Wim Wender's Until the End of the World... although you're sort of misremembering it because it has nothing to do with nuclear war (it's sort of sci-fi though I guess?)

Here's the scene where they walk around with the airplane door: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olcBoGx2g4A

gdeangel
0 Ratings

Re: Post-nuclear haulocaust movie about a romance in the Austrain outback?

Post by gdeangel »

JakeAesthete wrote:You're thinking of Wim Wender's Until the End of the World... although you're sort of misremembering it because it has nothing to do with nuclear war (it's sort of sci-fi though I guess?)

Here's the scene where they walk around with the airplane door: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olcBoGx2g4A

That's it. Thank you! And thanks for the link - that Genesis song - beautifully channels the late 80s early 90s. Apparently the soundrack was more successful than the movie: http://www.avclub.com/article/until-end-world-soundtrack-promised-hipper-future-241584?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

I tried several "AI" movie title finders out there before coming here and they produced absolute garbage results. Nothing like the human element.

I went and read the IMDB plot summary - there was nuclear fallout as a plot device, but it was from a crashed nuclear satellite not nuclear war - my bad. But like I said, I didn't remember any big missile launch / explosion / melting cities sequences... just a few matter of fact "humanity just rolled nuclear craps" kind of moments of dialogue.