[Solved] 1980s/90s movie about roman soldier going undercover to find Jesus's body

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
gdeangel
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

[Solved] 1980s/90s movie about roman soldier going undercover to find Jesus's body

Post by gdeangel »

I've been trying to figure out this one since I got wind of the 2016 Risen production. The film I'm looking for treads the same plot but I watched it on HBO sometime maybe 30 +/- years ago back in the late 80s or early 90s.

The film involved a successful Roman soldier who is called down to investigate the disappearance of Jesus's body. The movie is basically his investigation, and at some point in the movie he goes deep cover as a Jew among the emergent Christians and eventually comes around to believe that none of them stole the body.

In the distinct final act, some clerics or mystics come to him because he had offered a reward for information, and they demonstrate how they can use a potion to make a crucified person appear dead - like go into a coma - and then revive them after a short time. The main character doesn't believe them. He then gives his report to his superior officer, while still fully wearing his undercover outfit. The superior says, well, too bad for you, and orders one of the legion to kill him, and he dies unceremoniously in the dessert.

I definitely saw it in English, and it was not The Robe nor The Body.
Last edited by gdeangel on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdeangel
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: 1980s/90s movie about roman soldier going undercover to find Jesus's body

Post by gdeangel »

I just came back to this forum to ask another question, and I saw this wasn't solved. I know someone solved it for me, maybe it was at another forum but I thought it was here. Very strange that post would disappear...

Anyway, it was L'inchiesta, (The Inquiry) which seems pretty much forgotten in the US. It had a few A-list stars and was definitely on HBO back in the 80's. Seems like you can find German copies up for sale / region 2 stuff but nothing in region 1.

... just in case anyone was interested.