80s Horror Movies (2 titles): 1 about Scarecrow [solved] & 1 killer VW Beatle [unsolved]

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
gdeangel
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

80s Horror Movies (2 titles): 1 about Scarecrow [solved] & 1 killer VW Beatle [unsolved]

Post by gdeangel »

So I have two movies I remember being shown on TV in the 80s. I was probably 5 and these were movies that at least 2 times I sat through with my hands over my eyes, and now I'd like to actually see how scary they were.

The first one involved a kind of Lenny Smalls "slow" type guy who lived with his mom I think. The local tough guys were always beating on him I think, of it might have been that they tried to pin a crime on him and the sheriff was looking for him, but he went and dressed up as the scarecrow out in the yard. And then I think somebody - I think it was the local teenagers - figured out where he was hiding and killed him while he was hanging on the scarecrow poll. The rest of the movie is somebody comes around and kills a lot of people in the town, and the implication was that the Lenny Smalls guy had come back from the dead.

The second one had something to do with a possessed car killing lots of people. It was definitely a black car. My recollection was that is was a VW Beatle; however I could be wrong on that point... There might have been another character with a VW beatle that gets killed by the possessed car. The one thing I remember is that there is this scene with a guy playing french horn, I think he is on the side of the road for some reason, and it's fall with lots of leaves, and I'm pretty sure that French horn guy gets killed. The movie "The Car" (1977) sounds like a promising match, except it sounds like it takes place in the southwest, and the movie I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure was set in New England in the fall.

Anybody here recognize either of these films?
Last edited by gdeangel on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BillyShears
5493 Ratings

Re: 80s Horror Movies (2 titles): Scarecrow + Death Beatle

Post by BillyShears »

No idea about spooooky car movie but the scarecrow movie is Dark Night of the Scarecrow.

gdeangel
0 Ratings

Re: 80s Horror Movies (2 titles): Scarecrow + Death Beatle

Post by gdeangel »

BillyShears wrote:No idea about spooooky car movie but the scarecrow movie is Dark Night of the Scarecrow.

Awesome - that's definitely it. Thanks.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Re: 80s Horror Movies (2 titles): 1 about Scarecrow [solved] & 1 killer VW Beatle [unsolved]

Post by edkrak »

The Cars That Ate Paris (1974)?

mpazzo
1075 Ratings

Re: 80s Horror Movies (2 titles): 1 about Scarecrow [solved] & 1 killer VW Beatle [unsolved]

Post by mpazzo »

On your second title, if the movie had a guy on the side of the road playing a french horn in it, it was definitely The Car (1977).

I don't remember any movies with a killer VW Beetle. I can think of 2 other killer car movies that had a black car from the 70 - 90 time frame, but neither looked remotely like a VW Beetle. There was The Hearse (1980) and Wheels of Terror (1990). Of course, the car wasn't really meant to be the actual killer in either of these movies (unlike The Car or Christine), it's just that they never showed the driver, only the car.
Last edited by mpazzo on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdeangel
0 Ratings

Post by gdeangel »

mpazzo wrote:On your second title, if the movie had a guy on the side of the road playing a french horn in it, it was definitely The Car (1977).

Thanks. There was definitely a French Horn in it... I might not remember many details of the film, but I remember my cousin trying to get me to come out from behind the couch telling me it was just the a guy playing french horn. And I remember watching that scene, but I thought it it was fall on a wooded road with leaves blowing around. I think maybe there was a beetle was being driven by one of the victims, or maybe I remember it from another movie. Also I suspect I had seen only two "car" movies at this point in my life - this one and Herbie Goes Bananas, so probably my memory of one is leading into the other - I'm going to have to track down a VHS copy to get my memories straight!

mpazzo
1075 Ratings

Post by mpazzo »

gdeangel wrote:
mpazzo wrote:On your second title, if the movie had a guy on the side of the road playing a french horn in it, it was definitely The Car (1977).

Thanks. There was definitely a French Horn in it... I might not remember many details of the film, but I remember my cousin trying to get me to come out from behind the couch telling me it was just the a guy playing french horn. And I remember watching that scene, but I thought it it was fall on a wooded road with leaves blowing around. I think maybe there was a beetle was being driven by one of the victims, or maybe I remember it from another movie. Also I suspect I had seen only two "car" movies at this point in my life - this one and Herbie Goes Bananas, so probably my memory of one is leading into the other - I'm going to have to track down a VHS copy to get my memories straight!

In the scene with the French Horn playing guy the wind came up and started blowing really hard; can't remember what else was blowing around besides lots of dust so maybe there were some leaves. It can be a hard movie to track down these days but definitely worth re-watching (IMO).