[SOLVED!] US politician must choose between dating a woman or running for election

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
rklenseth
11417 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: [unsolved] US politician must choose between dating a woman or running for election

Post by rklenseth »

Here are a few you might want to check out...

"The Candidate" (1972) I know its a little bit older but some of the plot points you mentioned definitely fit so I figured it was at least worth mentioning. It is about a man running for the Senate and he does have an affair. It stars Robert Redford.
"True Colors" (1991) It is about a man running for a Congressional seat. I don't remember an affair but the man running for congress commits a lot of acts of corruption. It stars James Spader and John Cusack.
"Bob Roberts" (1992) It is about a man running for the Senate. I don't remember an affair. It is shot documentary style. It stars Tim Robbins.
"Dave" (1993) It is about a man who looks like the current President who is used to cover up the President's extramarital affair. It stars Kevin Kline.
"Primary Colors" (1998) It is a *fictional* telling of Bill Clinton running for the Presidential election in 1992. It involves allegations of an affair that is covered up. It stars John Travolta.
"Bulworth" (1998) It is about a man running for re-election to the Senate but is depressed and suicidal about the state of politics that he hires a hitman to kill him and then lives it up for his final few days of life. It stars Warren Beatty.

monclivie
5485 Ratings

Re: [unsolved] US politician must choose between dating a woman or running for election

Post by monclivie »

Maid in Manhattan? "A senatorial candidate falls for a hotel maid"

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

zopz wrote:Not The Dead Zone ?

Thanks. No, it wasn't sci-fi.
But thanks for the tip, I didn't know this one. Looks promising, will watch!

monclivie wrote:Maid in Manhattan ? "A senatorial candidate falls for a hotel maid"

No, as mentioned in OP it wasn't comedy. But thank you nevertheless.

rklenseth wrote:"The Candidate" (1972) I know its a little bit older but some of the plot points you mentioned definitely fit so I figured it was at least worth mentioning. It is about a man running for the Senate and he does have an affair. It stars Robert Redford.
"True Colors" (1991) It is about a man running for a Congressional seat. I don't remember an affair but the man running for congress commits a lot of acts of corruption. It stars James Spader and John Cusack.
"Bob Roberts" (1992) It is about a man running for the Senate. I don't remember an affair. It is shot documentary style. It stars Tim Robbins.
"Dave" (1993) It is about a man who looks like the current President who is used to cover up the President's extramarital affair. It stars Kevin Kline.
"Primary Colors" (1998) It is a *fictional* telling of Bill Clinton running for the Presidential election in 1992. It involves allegations of an affair that is covered up. It stars John Travolta.
"Bulworth" (1998) It is about a man running for re-election to the Senate but is depressed and suicidal about the state of politics that he hires a hitman to kill him and then lives it up for his final few days of life. It stars Warren Beatty.

Thank you so much for all the work and efforts you put into putting together the info and detailed descriptions! That's so very kind.
It makes me all the more uncomfortable to say that I have worked my way thoroughly through all of your films but I'm afraid none of them seem to match the one I'm searching. Mostly because the politician in your film doesn't have a relationship and/or is too old and/or your film is listed as comedy/drama whereas I'm quite sure there were no comedic elements in my film.

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

Are you sure you're not referring to Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign?

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

I knew this was coming… ;) good one! :D

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

Could it be the other Running Mates? The one from the year 1992 ...

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

coffee wrote:Could it be the other Running Mates? The one from the year 1992 ...

Thanks but IMDB says it's comedy/satire, which I specifically ruled out in my OP and your film is (for that reason) already listed in the OP as ineligible. Thanks for trying, though!

My film is serious in tone (maybe drama/thriller/romance ? my recollection is too vague unfortunately). But definitely not satire/comedy.

livelove
67 Ratings

Re: [SOLVED] US politician must choose between dating a woman or running for election

Post by livelove »

I am not quite sure, but I think I've found the film: Waking the Dead (2000)

And thanks to everyone trying to help, that's very kind of you.