Two Dutch(?) Christmas movies: Origin and Horror [solved]

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
gdeangel
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Two Dutch(?) Christmas movies: Origin and Horror [solved]

Post by gdeangel »

I'm searching for the titles to two foreign Christmas themed films.

The first one is a really heartwarming tale about the origin of Santa Claus. There is a small settlement village where a boy loses his family when they fall through a hole in the ice -- I think on Christmas eve. Anyway, the boy likes to carve wooden figures. The village doesn't know what to do with him - they kinda rotate him from home to home, and there is a hermit craftsman carpenter who comes to trade in town from time to time so they send the boy to apprentice with him. While there, he makes a deal with the carpenter to let him carve figures in his spare time and then deliver them on Christmas eve to the village. When the carpenter dies, he leaves his workshop to the young man, who then become Santa Claus. I watched this on Netflix back when they were just starting out with streaming and were still all about movies and were licensing a lot of foreign films rather than binge watching serialized TV shows.

And also at that time they had another Christmas movie that was a horror movie, although not really much gore that I remember. There was a herding town, probably in Lapland, near an off-limits area that included a giant hill. A big corporation showed up and started to excavate the hill, and then some kids snuck under the fence and discovered the company was trying to dig up a Krampus-like creature (the movie is NOT Krampus!). Instead they had dug up some kind of minions who all looked like old men Santa Clauses with white beards. The minions steal all the space heaters in the village and try to thaw out the evil demon creature but one of the kids who snuck under the fence at the beginning gets the grown ups to rally and they blow it up. Then they put Santa suits on the zombie minions and at the end with a little bit of humor they start a rent-a-Santa business.

Would love to be able to find them again. Going through by Netflix ratings is no longer an option since I dropped it long ago.

Thanks in advance for help!
Last edited by gdeangel on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gdeangel
0 Ratings

Re: [unsolved] Two Dutch(?) Christmas movies

Post by gdeangel »

Well, I found the second one searing for Krampus and sifting through all the BS from the American film of that name. Have to wonder who broke the Internet?

The horroy film I was looking for is called "Rare Exports". Here is the trailer:

Help on the first film still needed!

gdeangel
0 Ratings

Re: Two Dutch(?) Christmas movies: Origin [unsolved] and Horror [solved]

Post by gdeangel »

Well, I solved the other one too. It only took me a couple hours of online searching through the millions of movies with "Christmas" in the title. It was "Chirstmas Story"...