Early-2000s/Late-'90s movie about the realities of a young relationship/couple??

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
ReinaJ
542 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Early-2000s/Late-'90s movie about the realities of a young relationship/couple??

Post by ReinaJ »

So, there was this movie I watched back in 2009 or 2011 (it was a time I was traveling to another state and was visiting family, so I can't remember which year, but I *think* it was 2009). It was on Showtime or Cinemax, I believe. And seemed like it was from the earlier-2000s or, at the absolute earliest, the late-90s.

It was about this young (20-something) couple going through the ups and downs of an adult relationship. I believe they met in and graduated from college and then began dealing with the real world while still trying to attend to their relationship. The guy worked for some kind of ad agency (or maybe did jingles?), and I think she was maybe in journalism or law -- I feel like she was going to some kind of post-undergrad school. Their relationship starts light but then becomes more intense and "real" when they move in together. And then I think at one point, one of them -- I think the woman -- gets an opportunity which will take her to another state, and so they deal with trying to figure that out, doing long-distance, etc. in their relationship.

Oh! Also, there was this other couple who seemed older than them (like, 30s, maybe 40s) and wasn't quite as attractive but had been married for a while and were their good friends (and possibly neighbors?). I think they would sometimes give the younger couple advice and were just generally rooting for them to work out.

In the end, the main couple doesn't make it and I think one of them ends up with someone else. But one day, they both happen to turn up at this ice cream or frozen yogurt shop they'd used to like to go to together as a couple, and they'd ask for some crazy order that most others wouldn't "get" -- it was something unusual, with sprinkles.. sort of their little inside joke.

OMG I've been trying to figure out what this movie is for YEARS and can NEVER FIND IT!!!!! Some of the films that have FREQUENTLY come up as possibilities when searching, but I know they aren't it: Blue Valentine, Like Crazy, Going the Distance, and The Long Trip. Oh, and Revolutionary Road.

Another thing is, I don't recall any notable actors being in this movie, but it was great! And seemed like a pretty realistic portrayal of the ups and downs of young love -- especially when it meets LIFE.

That said, it wasn't a super serious drama but also wasn't a super light comedy. It was somewhere in-between.. like kind of a slightly more dramatic rom com.

Kinda insane I can remember THIS much about the movie but STILL haven't been able to track it down after all this time, right?!? But seriously, I've searched and searched and searched, and the enTIRE Internet acts like it never even existed!!

Does anyone have annnnny idea what movie I'm talking about?!? Please help!!!
Last edited by ReinaJ on Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

julesfmb
6149 Ratings

Re: Early-2000s movie about the realities of a young relationship/couple??

Post by julesfmb »

Could be so many things. Maybe you should search for 'When Harry Met Sally...' ripoffs like 'A Lot Like Love'.

ReinaJ
542 Ratings

Re: Early-2000s movie about the realities of a young relationship/couple??

Post by ReinaJ »

BUMP. Still haven't found it!! And again desperately searching for it.

Now, the titles I'm often seeing come up for it is Going the Distance, with Drew Barrymore, and The Long Ride.

It's neither of those!! 😩😩

Anyone up here nowadays have any idea??

Also, when I mentioned the ice cream, it could've been frozen yogurt -- one of the two.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

begoniabol
2542 Ratings

Re: Early-2000s/Late-'90s movie about the realities of a young relationship/couple??

Post by begoniabol »

Hey ReinaJ,

Do you maybe know some names of actors?

Edit: oops I just read you mentioned that in your first post. Sorry!

begoniabol
2542 Ratings

Re: Early-2000s/Late-'90s movie about the realities of a young relationship/couple??

Post by begoniabol »

I found one movie called Perfect Opposites, but I doubt it's that. Not much information I can find about that.

Plot: In the Midwest of USA, the sweethearts Drew and Julia are graduating in the college. Drew convinces Julia to move with him to Los Angeles, where his sister Terri lives and got a job for him. The young couple become close friends of their neighbors Elyse and Lenny Steinberg, who owns a small real estate business. However, the immature Drew breaks the relationship with Julia, afraid of the consequences of their commitment.

Hard to find the movie you described!

ReinaJ
542 Ratings

Post by ReinaJ »

begoniabol wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:41 pm
I found one movie called Perfect Opposites, but I doubt it's that. Not much information I can find about that.

Plot: In the Midwest of USA, the sweethearts Drew and Julia are graduating in the college. Drew convinces Julia to move with him to Los Angeles, where his sister Terri lives and got a job for him. The young couple become close friends of their neighbors Elyse and Lenny Steinberg, who owns a small real estate business. However, the immature Drew breaks the relationship with Julia, afraid of the consequences of their commitment.

Hard to find the movie you described!
OHHHH EMMMMM GEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! I COULD TOTALLY COME THROUGH THE SCREEN AND KISS YOU RIGHT NOW!!!!!! THAT. IS. IIITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG. Wow. Just wow. WOW. I looked up the trailer and then CONFIRMED it after pulling up a free version of the movie online!!!! I might've been slightly off about their friends (and no one notable being in the movie), but that is TOTALLY it. Thank you thank you THANK YOU sooooooo MUCH.

You have no idea how much this made my night/week/month/maybe year? lol.. but no, really, I was having a bit of a rough night with some personal things going on, and this really couldn't have come at a better time. Thank you SO much.

I even just posted the description on a few Facebook groups in the past 24 hours and had several guesses, but none were it, UNTIL NOW. My search is FINALLY over, thanks to you. πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°β€β€β€β€β€β€

Many kudos for you finding it because it surely felt like it was impossible. Even when I just tried searching for it on my Amazon Firestick, it doesn't come up, at all!! Lol.. Crazy.

Thank you. πŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜β€

begoniabol
2542 Ratings

Post by begoniabol »

No way! That's amazing! Took me about an hour to find it, and I'm very glad that was it.

Very happy to help and glad to hear you're so happy about it haha. I can imagine. :D
Hope it's as good as you remembered!

ReinaJ
542 Ratings

Post by ReinaJ »

Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:36 am
No way! That's amazing! Took me about an hour to find it, and I'm very glad that was it.

Very happy to help and glad to hear you're so happy about it haha. I can imagine. :D
Hope it's as good as you remembered!
❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

Haaa I started it last night, gonna finish tonight, but yep, so far, so good!!

And wow at you finding it in an hour. I think I've spent a cumulative full work week searching for that thing over the last DECADE. lol smH. πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

If you don't mind, I'm curious what in the world you did, searched for, where you looked, etc. to pull up that title?!?!? I'm convinced you have a secret source in the industry or did some kinda crazy magic sorcery or something, lol

begoniabol
2542 Ratings

Post by begoniabol »

I first started with google, searching for general keywords, changing keywords to get more results, but only the movies you and others mentioned in previous posts came up. After a while I went to IMDB and went to advance search and selected the genre Romance, movie made between 1998 -2004 and I think keyword college. I looked through all the movies that came up and that one was one of them. It sort of fit your description even though IMDB didn't have too much information about it. I guess I was lucky!

ReinaJ
542 Ratings

Post by ReinaJ »

Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:36 am
I first started with google, searching for general keywords, changing keywords to get more results, but only the movies you and others mentioned in previous posts came up. After a while I went to IMDB and went to advance search and selected the genre Romance, movie made between 1998 -2004 and I think keyword college. I looked through all the movies that came up and that one was one of them. It sort of fit your description even though IMDB didn't have too much information about it. I guess I was lucky!
Wowwwwwww. That is extremely impressive.

I did finally try IMDb's advanced search over the weekend but not that combination of information :( Even just tried that -- and various other combos -- now, and it STILL didn't come up :x :x

That's insane. lol.. but call it skill, call it luck -- whichever we wanna call it, I am super grateful to you for that find. I know I keep saying it, but thank you soooo much!! <3