Knocked over candles burn down house

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
zaeverhartl
12 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Knocked over candles burn down house

Post by zaeverhartl »

I’ve been hunting for this movie for at least 15 years. I think it’s from the 90s or early 2000s, maybe? The only thing I remember about it is a vivid scene near the end where the protagonist, a young woman, wakes up in a bed surrounded by dolls and an extreme amount of lit candles. Another woman comes in the room and reveals she’s the protagonist’s mother?? This upsets the young woman greatly, and I think there’s a struggle of some kind, but something happened, and some of the candles get knocked over in the bedroom, catching the place on fire. The protagonist escapes the (I think) small house, which opens onto a cliff overlooking the ocean or some other body of water. That’s all I can remember from it, unfortunately. Any ideas?

Bryce74
203 Ratings

Re: Knocked over candles burn down house

Post by Bryce74 »

According to ChatGPT:

The movie you're describing sounds like "The Others," a psychological horror film released in 2001. The film stars Nicole Kidman as the protagonist, Grace Stewart. The scene you mentioned is indeed from "The Others."

In the movie, Grace is a young woman who lives with her two children in a large, old house on an isolated island during World War II. She believes that her house is haunted, and she becomes increasingly convinced that her children have a rare photosensitivity condition that prevents them from being exposed to sunlight.

Towards the end of the film, there's a climactic scene where Grace discovers the truth about the haunting and her own situation. She finds herself in a bedroom surrounded by dolls and lit candles, as you described. Another woman enters the room and reveals that she is Grace's own daughter, Anne, who, along with her brother Nicholas, is one of the "haunting" figures in the house. Grace finally realizes that she and her children are the ghosts haunting the house, and the living characters they interacted with are the real inhabitants of the home.

During this realization, there's a struggle, and the candles are knocked over, leading to a fire that engulfs the house. Grace and her children manage to escape the burning house and end up on the cliffs overlooking the ocean, which matches the description you provided.

"The Others" is known for its atmospheric tension and psychological twists, and it seems to fit the details you remember from the movie scene.

movieboy
1171 Ratings

Re: Knocked over candles burn down house

Post by movieboy »

Bryce74 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:02 am
Spoiler!
Towards the end of the film, there's a climactic scene where Grace discovers the truth about the haunting and her own situation. She finds herself in a bedroom surrounded by dolls and lit candles, as you described. Another woman enters the room and reveals that she is Grace's own daughter, Anne, who, along with her brother Nicholas, is one of the "haunting" figures in the house. Grace finally realizes that she and her children are the ghosts haunting the house, and the living characters they interacted with are the real inhabitants of the home.
You should hide the spoiler. Doesn't matter to me though - I have seen the movie.