Hyperlink Cinema

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Hyperlink Cinema

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I've created a new collection (http://www.criticker.com/?fl&filter=e16615) for films that are considered to be hyperlink narratives. These films should contain multiple interrelated storylines and be films like PT Anderson's Magnolia and the films of Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu.

I started by adding the films listed on the hyperlink cinema wikipedia page (the films that I could find at least), and I added Todd Solondz Happiness, Smokin Aces, and PT Anderson's Boogie Nights. I'm sure I forgot some or there are some that I don't even know about, but feel free to add to this collection.

ayall
1652 Ratings

Re: Hyperlink Cinema

Post by ayall »

not exactly sure what you mean by "hyperlink," but i would say almost any guy ritchie movie (snatch, lock stock, rocknrolla) as well as most tarantino films (pulp, reservoir dogs)

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

ayall wrote:not exactly sure what you mean by "hyperlink," but i would say almost any guy ritchie movie (snatch, lock stock, rocknrolla) as well as most tarantino films (pulp, reservoir dogs)

It's a term invented by some critic or something (here's the wikipedia page :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperlink_cinema).

Similarly to a hyperlink, these films move from storyline to storyline, and often you have to watch the whole film to get the entire picture. If you click on a hyperlink, it takes you to some page on the internet. In film, this comparison is used in moving from one story to another, where it may be revealed a connection between these stories.

shalev
1326 Ratings

Post by shalev »

There already is a collection for that kind of movies (if I understood right), it's called interconnected stories.

Also, why does Groundhog Day fit here?

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

shalev wrote:There already is a collection for that kind of movies (if I understood right), it's called interconnected stories.

Also, why does Groundhog Day fit here?

Yes, that collection has the same type of movies.

I don't know why Groundhog Day is there, I didn't add it. It's public so someone else did. I agree that it doesn't fit. I'll go through and moderate it.

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Both this collection and the aforementioned "Interconnected Stories" were orphaned, so I adopted and amalgamated them:

Hyperlink Cinema / Interconnected Stories

Also tidied up and hopefully clarified the description a bit:

wrote:Films that can be thought of as a subgroup of non-linear narratives. These films move among multiple storylines, with characters whose lives are usually connected in ways initially unclear to them. They rely extensively on time distortions, plot twists, and the appearance of chance or fate.