Reasonable Movies About God

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Reasonable Movies About God

Post by Stewball »

jacobb1313 wrote:Ah! here we are. So the conversation and list should focus on those films that hint at an underlying, ultimate Power / Truth, particularly those movie texts lacking the trappings of religious iconography or dogmatic couching into said belief structures.

Just sain'. What movie from the religious point of view favors reason instead of resorting to (blind) faith and using the straw man fallacy? (Most atheist arguments do the same thing btw.)

Yes, via total blind faith.
The problem is that because all revealed religions are prevarications, we were only watching people being idiotic because they've been taught to blindly follow their feelings instead of guiding them with reason.
Paul is the beast of revelation, not as revealed by God, but as judged by the original Jewish followers of Jesus who remained Jews. Christianity should rightly be called Paulism.

Indeed. That's rather presumptuous. And looks quite a lot like blind faith.
[/quote]

If you're talking about Paul, there's so much hard evidence against him that's surfaced recently, including the Dead Sea Scrolls and his enmity with James, not to mention what's in the Bible, there's no doubt about his anti-Jerusalem church, pro-self, Herodian, Roman stance. No need for faith at all. Not that the early Jerusalem Jesus' followers were right about their Hebrew "divinely revealed" religion being right, just that they were less wrong--by a million miles.z

I could hardly scratch the surface here, but if you're really interested, I can provide the sources.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

jacobb1313 wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:The film has almost nothing to say about God or Christian doctrine itself. Rather, it's a searing criticism of organized religion, especially cults.

Certainly yes, but the Daddy issues from nearly all characters (ranging from incest to physical abuse to religious dogmatism to molestation to gender-bending and machismo to castration) in combination with its clear religious overtones made me think we were seeking a definition of God/Father to Man(/Woman) as one of its many possible readings. I don't think you can quote Corinthians 13 in its entirety in one take and act coy about God's possible influence.

Hmmm...I personally think you're reading a bit too much into the film, but then again, I guess that interpretation can be valid, too. It's hard to fully tell what is going on inside of Shion Sono's head.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

ShogunRua wrote:It's hard to fully tell what is going on inside of Shion Sono's head.

understatement of the fucking century, my friend.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Add:

Her (2013)—In amongst the several themes in the movie are hints at a scientific basis for a hereafter. No, AI isn’t the next step in evolution, it’s where artificial intelligence (that has to learn the importance of emotion) and naturally evolved beings with fully developed self-awareness (who have to learn to use reason to guide their emotions), are partnered in timeless, nonlocal*, quantumland, entered via the gaps in the fabric of this 4-D universe which insulates us from it—known as Planck space-time minimum divisibility of the universe, units.

*EPR Paradox Local vs. Nonlocal, RE: the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Paradox. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_paradox