Street Fighter

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Street Fighter

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

A collection of films based on or featuring the Capcom games or their characters.

Not in the collection as they're not on IMDB:

I Am Street Fighter (2012) 1:12:30
The official 25th Anniversary documentary. Being a celebration it has allot of interviews with fans, personally I'd have preferred more from the game creators and industry types. Highlights include short interviews with the creators of Tekken and Virtual Fighter and Yoko Shimomura (sound designer). Lows include Killian calling Daigo a dick. 2/5

More Than A Game (2013) 1:17:14
First part's a general introduction then it becomes a film about evo 2011. Allot of the stuff from Killian and some evo footage was very similar to I Am Street Fighter, the interviews with competitors were OK but it's a bit dull. 2/5

CEO 2012: Tournament of Fighters Documentary (2012) 21:08
Short, scrappy and lightweight but there are a few less familiar players and some brief shots of other games. 2/5

Here Comes a New Challenger (2013?) 52:07
Starts off raw and 'Youtube-y' but weaves the story of a newcomer -Jake- getting into his local FGC (Melbourne) and the Shadoloo 2012 tournament. Interviews are a nice mix of pro players and amateurs, easily my favourite of the bunch. 3/5

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Street Fighter

Post by ShogunRua »

I wish they would finally release Bang The Machine (2002) on Youtube, instead of keeping it as an Evo special. Just from the few clips I have seen, it's at least better than all the wretched recent Street Fighter 4 documentaries we've had.

AgostoMesmer wrote:A collection of films based on or featuring the Capcom games or their characters.

That's a bit confusing. For instance, would the OVAs of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure count?

Like, they were made into a popular series of Capcom fighters. However, JoJo's source material is obviously the manga series.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

ShogunRua wrote:I wish they would finally release Bang The Machine (2002) on Youtube, instead of keeping it as an Evo special. Just from the few clips I have seen, it's at least better than all the wretched recent Street Fighter 4 documentaries we've had.

Distribution is a real pain for a few of these, I can't find legal way of seeing I Got Next (2011) out here in the Hulu-less rotw and I'm not paying $12 through itunes to see King of Chinatown (2010). Youtube may not pay much but, it or something like it's got to be better for everyone. From the trailer Bang The Machine (2002) does look OK though, frustrating. Think I saw a young Valle in there, should add him to credits for a few of these.

With a few eccentric characters and that amateur sports story of balancing a day job with an obsession/hobby it's a good subject for a documentary. Of the ones I've seen no-ones really done it justice yet, Louis Theroux would be perfect for this no?

Hadn't heard of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, perhaps we could make a wider Fighting Game or Capcom collection sometime but I'd intended this just for Street Fighter.

Description wasn't clear, should probably read:

A collection of films based on, or featuring Capcoms' Street Fighter games or their characters.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

AgostoMesmer wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:I wish they would finally release Bang The Machine (2002) on Youtube, instead of keeping it as an Evo special. Just from the few clips I have seen, it's at least better than all the wretched recent Street Fighter 4 documentaries we've had.

Distribution is a real pain for a few of these, I can't find legal way of seeing I Got Next (2011) out here in the Hulu-less rotw and I'm not paying $12 through itunes to see King of Chinatown (2010). Youtube may not pay much but, it or something like it's got to be better for everyone. From the trailer Bang The Machine (2002) does look OK though, frustrating. Think I saw a young Valle in there, should add him to credits for a few of these.

At this point, no one is going to make any significant coin from this documentary, nor do the filmmakers likely expect to. So they should just put it up for the fans. Hell, the amount of Google ad revenue they would get from even 200k views wouldn't be much less than any of the alternatives.

AgostoMesmer wrote:With a few eccentric characters and that amateur sports story of balancing a day job with an obsession/hobby it's a good subject for a documentary. Of the ones I've seen no-ones really done it justice yet, Louis Theroux would be perfect for this no?

I'm the wrong person to ask, since I consider Theroux's documentaries to be oversimplified, deeply biased and agenda-driven, and severely lacking in information. Basically, all the things I typically despise in a documentary.

Many SF4 documentaries suffer from similar ills, except with worse editing, production values, and overall presentation.

AgostoMesmer wrote:Hadn't heard of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, perhaps we could make a wider Fighting Game or Capcom collection sometime but I'd intended this just for Street Fighter.

Description wasn't clear, should probably read:

A collection of films based on, or featuring Capcoms' Street Fighter games or their characters.

Indeed, that's a clearer title.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Ok, it's old-ish, and anyone interested's probably busy getting into Ultra but I just read this article: STREET FIGHTER: THE MOVIE — WHAT WENT WRONG

Not only am I now in the strange position of really wanting to see that film again but rooting for a directors cut too.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Great article.