Non-musicals with a full-on musical number in the middle

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
nauru
1667 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Non-musicals with a full-on musical number in the middle

Post by nauru »

http://www.criticker.com/?fl&filter=e38097

This collection is for full-blown musical numbers in non-musical films. By this I mean at least one main or supporting character singing while dancing for the duration of a song (or nearly an entire song) right in the middle of the film! So, not a sideshow while the credits roll. Only one I can think of so far is The Mask.

And can we please keep it to numbers that are longer than 60 seconds, my collection can do without Dunkaccino. Thanks!

Last edited by nauru on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Re: Non-musicals with a full-on musical number in the middle

Post by mattorama12 »

First that came to mind was Not Another Teen Movie (which is fucking great, btw (except that I'm positive almost everybody on the forums probably hates/would hate it)). I'm sure there are many others I've seen, so I'll add as I think of them

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

There's the Banana Boat scene from Beetlejuice, if that counts.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

If by "full-on musical number" you mean song with choreographed dance, then:

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

By full-on musical number I mean at least one major character singing while dancing choreographed moves. Clarified original post.

comepelicula
1839 Ratings

Post by comepelicula »

"10 Things I Hate About You" could be one, but I don't remember if Heath Ledger sings or does a voice over.
Also "3 Idiots" (http://www.criticker.com/film/3_Idiots/) and "Slumdog Millionaire" have a musical insert Bollywood style.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

comepelicula wrote:"10 Things I Hate About You" could be one, but I don't remember if Heath Ledger sings or does a voice over.
Also "3 Idiots" (http://www.criticker.com/film/3_Idiots/) and "Slumdog Millionaire" have a musical insert Bollywood style.

That's at the end, not in the middle. But now that you mention Heath Ledger, there was a dance scene in the middle of A Knight's Tale. though not very exciting scene.....or movie. The best part was the opening credits preparing for the joust to Queen's "We Will Rock You".

Anyway, glad to see the 4 I put up qualified, apparently.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

In Pulp Fiction, it's a dance scene, but the characters don't sing. According to the description, that doesn't qualify.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

mattorama12 wrote:In Pulp Fiction, it's a dance scene, but the characters don't sing. According to the description, that doesn't qualify.

Neither does 500 Days, and she only lip-syncs during the lap dance. The only one of the four of mine where they sing and dance is the animated Tangled, because they don't have to worry about being out of breath, or dubbing in the singing later like in Mask (you know what I mean). I put up my additions after my assumption of modified qualifications, which were later amended further.

**sigh** I don't suppose you'd care to venture an example yourself. You could put up the one I didn't use, A Knight's Tale, if you like. **sigh** eeee oooor.

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

The float scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off...