Angry white guy

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
nauru
1667 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Angry white guy

Post by nauru »

In the spirit of United States primary/election season, I thought it would be nice to revisit some "angry white guy" films. This rather specific genre typically stars a well-spoken middle class white male, who is angry with the world around him and just loses it. Often there's some traumatic event which sets him on the path to vent his cumulative frustrations in spectacularly antisocial ways.

Examples:

1. Falling Down (1993)

From IMDb: "A borderline personality disordered defense worker frustrated with the various flaws he sees in society, begins to psychotically and violently lash out against them."

2. Law Abiding Citizen (2009)

From IMDb: "A frustrated man decides to take justice into his own hands after a plea bargain sets one of his family's killers free. He targets not only the killer but also the district attorney and others involved in the deal."

In a sense this collection could be interpreted as a subset of the vigilante genre. However to me FALLING DOWN is the best example of an Angry White Guy film because unlike LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, he isn't actually seeking justice for himself. He's just had it, and he snaps. He takes it out on the people around him who he knows have no direct link to his own problems.

Can you think of any others? Other than Taxi Driver...

PS anyone know how to make the images work in this post? :)
Last edited by nauru on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: Angry white guy

Post by Stewball »

Gladiator

Full Metal Jacket (first third anyway)

Inglorious Basterds

Are you trying to use photos from your computer files, because I don't think that works here.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Thanks

I'm just using the Img button at the top, and pasting an imgur link.

dardan
1636 Ratings

Post by dardan »

To show images properly you have to include the .jpeg, .png or whatever at the end. So rather than http://i.imgur.com/7kiDNZQ you have to post http://i.imgur.com/7kiDNZQ.gif.

The simplest way to do this is to right-click, select "copy image address' and then paste it here between the [img] thingy.

That said:

12 Angry Men (1957):

Other films with angry white guys: Patton (1970), Prisoners (2013), First Blood (1982), The Shining and I Stand Alone.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Network has to be the most iconic example.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

nauru wrote:In the spirit of United States primary/election season, I thought it would be nice to revisit some "angry white guy" films. This rather specific genre typically stars a well-spoken middle class white male, who is angry with the world around him and just loses it. Often there's some traumatic event which sets him on the path to vent his cumulative frustrations in spectacularly antisocial ways.

Examples:

1. Falling Down (1993)

From IMDb: "A borderline personality disordered defense worker frustrated with the various flaws he sees in society, begins to psychotically and violently lash out against them."

From IMDb: "A frustrated man decides to take justice into his own hands after a plea bargain sets one of his family's killers free. He targets not only the killer but also the district attorney and others involved in the deal."

In a sense this collection could be interpreted as a subset of the vigilante genre. However to me FALLING DOWN is the best example of an Angry White Guy film because unlike LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, he isn't actually seeking justice for himself. He's just had it, and he snaps. He takes it out on the people around him who he knows have no direct link to his own problems.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

nauru wrote:In the spirit of United States primary/election season, I thought it would be nice to revisit some "angry white guy" films. This rather specific genre typically stars a well-spoken middle class white male, who is angry with the world around him and just loses it. Often there's some traumatic event which sets him on the path to vent his cumulative frustrations in spectacularly antisocial ways.

Examples:

1. Falling Down (1993)

There