Free State of Jones

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Free State of Jones

Post by Stewball »

(Includes spoilers) A powerful action-drama about a local Mississippi rebellion against the Confederate rebellion, brought about by Southern corruption, conscripting men, and confiscating supplies and livestock, without reimbursement, in order to support the army in its fight for the Southern plantation system. The last straw for the main character, Newton Knight, superbly played by Matthew McConaughey, was the passing of the 20 slave law that exempted 1 white man for every 20 slaves—in order to prevent a slave rebellion what with so many white males being off to war.
It’s a gritty depiction of the sordid underbelly of an already corrupt slave economy. It’s a reminder, as if we needed one, of the reprehensible conditions some of our ancestors (on both sides) imposed on their society; but neither justifies either hate or guilt this far removed from it or the Jim Crow laws. It also depicts the courageous good things that others got right. The end of the movie balances things with a political statement when it shows a mixed-race group, armed with guns I must add, marching into town on election day and demanding Republican ballots. That scene is probably behind many of the less than favorable reviews. It’s easy to forget that Lincoln and the Abolitionists were Republicans; while Klansmen (including “former” Klansmen) occupied some of our highest offices, and were allied with Democrats into the 21st Century. 9/10

MacSwell
2718 Ratings

Re: Free State of Jones

Post by MacSwell »

I had always been under the impression that the Klan changed parties to the GOP around the time of LBJ.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Maaxwell wrote:I had always been under the impression that the Klan changed parties to the GOP around the time of LBJ.

The Klan faded away about that time but not racism. LBJ was and remained one of the worst racists ever, his Great Society and War on Poverty were ruses made to make him look like he cared. Selling those programs to two governors on Air Force One prompted him to say, "I'll have those n*****s voting Democrat for the next 200 years". Fifty years and counting.

Suture Self
2708 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

It's peculiar how you shift the blame away from the Republicans, completely forgetting the southern strategy and the changing politics of the time. Lyndon B Johnson was most definitely a racist, though, you're right. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he said that quote. The Democrats have long exploited African Americans for their vote; it's still happening as we speak. But more to the point: both the Republicans and the Democrats have blood on their hands here. Not to mention, the party of Lincoln was much different than the Republican party of the 1960s, just as it's even more different than the Republican Party of the 2000s. Comparisons like that are reductionist and ignore vast periods of time.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Suture Self wrote:It's peculiar how you shift the blame away from the Republicans, completely forgetting the southern strategy and the changing politics of the time. Lyndon B Johnson was most definitely a racist, though, you're right. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he said that quote. The Democrats have long exploited African Americans for their vote; it's still happening as we speak. But more to the point: both the Republicans and the Democrats have blood on their hands here. Not to mention, the party of Lincoln was much different than the Republican party of the 1960s, just as it's even more different than the Republican Party of the 2000s. Comparisons like that are reductionist and ignore vast periods of time.

I put that Johnson quote in there not only to show how racist he still was, but to show that he was changing gears for the Democrat party, with the plantation n*****s taking over as overseers and keeping the black block voting 95% Democrat, and labeling the rest of them Uncle Toms. I'm not sure what blood on the Republican hands you're talking about, but indeed, starting with George the 1st, there's been plenty of non-racist, elitist, corporate-cronyism corruption to go around--taking the blame for that when Democrats have their cronyism money laundering operation down pat. And then there's the global warming, er, climate change, carbon credits scam...etc....etc....etc.