"Nerve"

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Nerve"

Post by Stewball »

So, should you let your twixt-ten-and-twenty kids see this?

Superb story line and execution with little to no use of formulaic plot devices or simplistic teen music--which makes it easier for adults to watch. It's basically a Pokeyman Go game with money and FAME as the rewards, only with increasingly dangerous dares. It's right into the wheelhouse of its "I'm bulletproof" target teen audience. It shows exactly how addicting something like this would most likely be, as well where this out of control path to daredevil thrill/fame seeking always takes us.

I see plenty of movies for younger kids since they usually have material adults can appreciate mixed in. But as a rule, I avoid movies directed straight at teens, especially horror. This, however, is about as good as I can remember a movie for this particularly audience being. In fact, when I saw all the teens, mostly girls, coming into the theater, for a 1 PM showing, and then several teen slasher previews, I almost walked out. But the premise made me stick it out, and I'm glad I did.

As for the opening question, I recommend a very hearty but advised, yes. Adulation derived adrenaline could well be the new drug of the future, and it's always better to face something head on than to ignore it. With caring parents and relatives, this can actually be a good source for a life lesson discussion--and to its credit, the movie is on your side. But you really need to see it too (separately?) so you can help them think through what really happens, so they don't just conclude, "well I would do it better". The message for the "watchers" at the end is the real point, in tandem with the insanity of excessive physical risk taking. 9/10 (bumped it from an 8/10. I keep running it over in my head, and that's a good thing.)
Last edited by Stewball on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: "Nerve"

Post by Stewball »

What with all the negative to lukewarm reception it's gotten, I watched it again just to see if it worked as well for me as the first time, and I liked it even better. Great soundtrack and visuals. I guess it's just one of those guilty pleasures with a high re-watchablity quotient that hits my sweet spot--and it even had something to say. I noticed the audience was more diverse this time, FWIW.