The Red Turtle

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
hotsake
20322 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The Red Turtle

Post by hotsake »

This is a hard film to rate. I really enjoyed the themes, story, music and striking visuals but there were curtain things that really bothered me about the film that I just couldn't over look. The background visual were very beautifully rendered and seemed hyper real while the living creatures had a Hergé fel to them which I liked however the creatures and especially the 'humans' didn't fit in to their environments. What I mean by this is that shadows and reflections aside the characters don't really seem to be in the environments in which they are depicted. The main character for instance crawls out of the ocean but isn't wet, he doesn't leave footprints in the sand, non of the leaves, plants or onder growth in the bamboo forest move or a disturbed by his passage, in fact when he exits the forest or the water there is a weird green screen kind of effect where the man seems to come from between two panels instead on actually being part of his surrounding, this made it really hard to tell what was going on in curtain situations and times in the film and I found it to be really distracting. My other complaint it that the film was about 20 minutes too long, now I'm not saying that the movie was boring because it wasn't but it did feel like it was a 50-60 minute short film that got stretched to 80 minutes to make it a feature film. I also really enjoyed the ambiguity of the story which gives you a message and then lets you interpret it any way you choose. I also like the humorous little crabs and group of green turtles as well.