Turnabout (2016)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
ikkegoemikke
4271 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Turnabout (2016)

Post by ikkegoemikke »

"I can't believe you.
You haven't seen or heard from this guy in ages,and he calls out of the blue and you're off to his rescue?"

Perry's (Waylon Payne) wife sounds surprised when he stops his nightly activities with her in bed to help his friend Billy (George Katt). I was also as much surprised about some developments in this crime-con indie movie. The story didn't impress me. However, the performances of both the leading actors was of such high level, they deserve a new collaboration in another film with a better and well-thought-out script. Here the story was so weak and predictable that even their acting performance couldn't tip the scales to the positive side.

Perry and Billy are old schoolmates and haven't seen each other for 15 years. Both have taken a completely different direction in their lives. Perry ended up as a (seemingly) happy married family man who earns his living as an optician. Billy on the other hand has chosen a criminal and dissolute life. No steady job and no place where he settled. As the story goes on, you can conclude that a nightlife full of liquor, drugs and women is his territory. And then there's that particular night. He's standing in front of a lake and tries to commit suicide. It might be that he stumbled across a stone while watching the two nighttime fishermen. Who knows.

And yet, Perry leaves in the middle of the night, to help his long forgotten friend. So maybe Perry wasn't happily married. Or he's suffering from insomnia. Or did he just want to take a step in the unknown. After an awkward, hesitant conversation in a road restaurant and an argument with a couple of youngsters, Billy can convince Perry (in an easy way just by making him feel guilty about the situation) to have another drink in a local strip club. And before they know it, the night ends in a shabby motel, accompanied by two busty, handsome strippers.

The movie isn't really bad. Although the budget wasn't so big, the made images generally look really professional. The interaction between Wayne and Katt is magnificent and at times extremely enjoyable. And you have to admit that the strippers Sherri (Rosebud Baker) and Candy (Sayra Player) are pleasant to look at. Particularly Rosebud Baker. With her charming and lovely smile she can melt any guy's heart effortlessly. But still there are some facts that really amazed me.

Billy drank a lot of alcohol and took a lot of sleeping pills at the beginning of the film. So it's likely that's the reason why he ended up in the water. But what a surprise. After a while you see him acting as if nothing happened. Astonishing. Also Perry's behavior is kind of strange. According to him, his drink at the club was spiked. However, when burying his face in between Sherri's Big 'Uns, I guess his condition miraculously got better. And the way he's being hustled in the end although he's an intelligent, realistic man, was rather laughable. And finally, I thought that the scenes in the strip club and the motel were a bit too monotonous.

Anyway, if someone would call me in the middle of the night, who I haven't seen for over 15 years, asking for help, I would hang up after shouting "wrong number". And when you're planning on watching this mediocre crime film, I recommend you not to watch the trailer. To be honest, the trailer is the complete movie in a nutshell!

More reviews here : http://bit.ly/2qtGQoc