The Void (2016)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
ikkegoemikke
4293 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The Void (2016)

Post by ikkegoemikke »

"We will all be saved.
Everything has led to this.
I can see it all before me.
The infinite astro workings.
It's beautiful."

Could it be possible that Gillespie and Kostanski had a few bottles of beer one night and watched their all time favorite film "The thing" together, after which they sat at the table, wrote down some random ideas and made sketches of slimy and crazy looking creatures? Then they came up with some kind of sect resembling the Ku-Klux-Klan. Only their hood was decorated with a large triangle as a symbol. "Perhaps those moviegoers will make an association with the mysterious Bermuda triangle. And afterwards, we'll make up stuff to continue the story. We'll see where we end up." they thought. Well, "The Void" could be the result of this brainstorm session. A horror that reminded me of similar films from the 80's when horror effects were created with grimages and prosthetic.

Till halfway it was far from bad. You could cut the tension with a knife. It was all quite mysterious and frightening. The used horror elements looked gory and extremely bloody. In short, it felt like a successful horror experiment. Until it completely derailed and followed a path that was hard to comprehend. A psychedelic trip with images from another dimension or planet, an occult ritual and a demonic creature that explains the ultimate goal. Beats me if you fully understand this explanation, because it's all so far-fetched and confusing.

I enjoyed the different creatures that appeared throughout the film. Disgusting and grotesque monsters straight from the museum of oddities. The fans of this kind of practical effects will have fun. (Here is a film about those practical effects) Maybe it differs slightly from this movie, but when I watched this flick, I got a Twin Peaks feeling. A totally different subject, but it was also mysterious and bizarre. Same goes for this bizarre movie. And if they had produced this movie in the 80's, you could be certain this would be the start of a successful series. Well, looking at the movie posters the art-design department has created, they could have covered a few seasons already.

"The Void" is undoubtedly a unique film and something you rarely encounter. This can easily be included in "The hall of cult movies". However, it's a barrel filled with insanity that didn't make any sense to me at a given moment. The performances aren't really brilliant, but they were all right for such a low-budget movie. The surrealistic atmosphere is omnipresent in the second half. Some story lines aren't developed in detail and leave you behind with more questions. Eventually I wondered what I've watched after all. I'm afraid this is a movie that will only be appreciated by a limited audience. Most of the viewers will be quite contemptuous about this movie. Well, i consider myself being part of the midfield when it comes to an opinion about this bizarre spectacle.

More reviews here : http://bit.ly/2qtGQoc