Second Nature (2016)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
ikkegoemikke
4294 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Second Nature (2016)

Post by ikkegoemikke »

"Behind every great woman, there is a man …
staring at her ass."

Remember Mel Gibson in "What women want" where you could see him experimenting with cosmetics and nylons just so he could relate to the female emotional landscape? I admit it. I always watch this movie when I come across it on a TV-channel. I guess it's one of my guilty pleasure. It's not entirely identical to the concept of "Second nature", but the film also tries to show how different women and men think about certain things. Mel Gibson had the privilege in this movie to capture the thoughts of women surrounding him and use it to his advantage. Well, maybe it was the concept that attracted me and the usefulness I saw in it as a man. Or perhaps it was due to the presence of the attractive actress Helen Hunt. In "Second nature", it's a complete community where the personalities of women and men are being exchanged. Except the main players. They are being spared and retain their typical characteristics. What makes for hilarious conditions again. At least that should be the intention. However, there's not much hilarity to be seen in this "Switch"-like pseudo comedy.

Amanda (Collette Wolfe) tells her grandmother Estelle (Carolyn Cox) about the sexist behavior of her boss Bret (Sam Huntington) and the way she's being judged by the male community. Estelle knows a redeeming idea. Before you know it, the two are digging for a time capsule in a meadow (Who came with that idea?). To Amanda's astonishment the capsule contains, besides a giant dildo (uncontrolable laughter), a magic mirror that apparently could change her life. Don't expect a detailed explanation about this. No clue how Amanda's in-earlier-days-sexually-highly-active grandmother got it and what happened to her. Better this way. Otherwise the movie would take even longer.

When the ruling mayor subsequently drives of a rock (fellatio-wise), Bret and Amanda are candidates for the vacant position. Bret has the most chance of getting this privileged position as he, as future mayor, will make sure that Louisburg will have plenty of strip bars and bars where lascivious, big-breasted servants serve the always horny male population. While Amanda is being laughed at because of her safety-suggestions and other less impressive slogans. Until the darned mirror shows its force at a political meeting (apparently Amanda carries this antique trinket with her everywhere) and suddenly the chances of Amanda look quite promising. The magic mirror causes women to behave like men. While men suddenly inherit the characteristics of the women.

What follows is a string of faint allusions to the exchange of male and female characteristics. Men are insecure, sensitive people who aren't afraid of using make-up now and then and who are being harassed by men-hungry women. And those women are suddenly individuals who are taking a leak while standing upright, make lewd, sexist remarks and as street workers make a pass at guys who walk by (while standing next to a warning sign that says "Caution: woman-hole!". How subtle). The used humor isn't really rude, but after a while you know which message they are trying to convey.

Indeed, it's true that women are treated unfriendly by society. Their opinion isn't asked for sometimes. Or even heard to. And sometimes they are simply ignored. On the other hand, I feel a little bit insulted because it's as if all men are sexist, butt slapping, unhygienic pigs whose brain is in their pants and who treat women disrespectful. Sorry, but I don't think I match that profile.

Is it really such a bad movie? No, I wouldn't call it bad. Maybe the movie isn't really funny (maybe I don't have a sense of humor), but the interaction between Collette Wolfe and Sam Huntington felt natural and was amusing. It's because of their enthusiasm that I kept watching. And some situations were ludicrous because of the recognisability. Like the toilet scene, for example. And in retrospect, the transformation of Dex Gamble (Riley Shanahan) was also quite funny in a certain way. Well, I'm sure if I keep thinking about it, I'm going to say it's a fun movie. Is it possible that the small amount of female hormones in my body, cause this indecision? One advice, watch it yourself and decide on your own!

More reviews here