Possession (1981)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
itsben
705 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Possession (1981)

Post by itsben »

I'm giving this a 60 because the concept and visuals are creative and I think most would agree that the tunnel scene is just phenomenal. The scene by the lake where they talk about his childhood dog is also great and the cinematography is way ahead of its time.

On a less positive note, its really stressful but it doesn't earn your anxiety. There were several times were I was left wondering if something was foreshadowing, plot, or just bad acting. Honestly, I don't even think it was the acting as much as the directing because some of the performances were exceptional. All the male characters are incomprehensibly stupid except one who's uncharacteristically observational and dies far too quickly.

There are some shots I really liked, but the bulk of the movie was pretty bad. I hate films like this that pull me both ways. It's hard to rank a movie I mostly disliked but in a lot of ways completely adored. And that ending! Just wow that's all I gotta say. I think it's worth a view just for the cult classic standing. Plus it is so bizarre. If you have friends that are movie buffs this is a good movie to watch with them. The beginning is pretty slow but it will definitely give you lots to talk about.