Blade Runner 2049

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Blade Runner 2049

Post by MmzHrrdb »

“Blade Runner 2049” (2017) 89%

“Blade Runner 2049” is a visual treat for any lover of movies. I was fortunate to see this film on the big screen. My imagination went wild with the music and wonderful camerawork. My eyes were wide open as the loud score to “Blade Runner” began to boom in the theatre. I knew as soon as the film started that the world of “Blade Runner” was alive.

“Blade Runner 2049” is the sequel to the 1982 film directed by Ridley Scott. Which film is better? Director Denis Villeneuve stays true to “Blade Runner” with each and every shot and the outcome is visionary. The film won two worthy Academy Awards. One for Best Cinematography and the other for Best Visual Effects.

The cinematography by the great Roger Deakins could be my favorite thing about the whole movie. Every frame seems carefully thought out and patiently executed. The lighting of rain soaked scenes and flying machines is a sight to see. The sound in the film is very powerful and really adds to the whole viewing experience. The visuals, lighting and sound all put together creates the world of “Blade Runner” and it’s nostalgic.

Set thirty years after the first film, the movie is about K, a replicant working for the Los Angeles Police Department as a “Blade Runner”, an officer who hunts and retires rogue replicants. K is played by Ryan Gosling in what I think is one of the best performances of his career. Harrison Ford reprises his role as Rick Deckard, although his performance was better in the original, Ford still plays his part very well.

The movie at times does move at a slow pace, but the rhythm and timing of the film is right on. Even though I think the movie could have been shorter, I couldn’t quite get enough of the camera shots, sound and musical score. The score was done by Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch. The music and sounds of “Blade Runner” are almost as good as the cinematography. The sets and locations are very nice to look at and served the story well. This film was created by very talented filmmakers with a strong vision to bring the world of “Blade Runner” to life.

Is the original “Blade Runner” better than the sequel? Is the original film appreciated more now that the sequel exists? I do know that “Blade Runner 2049” has the spirit and ideas of the original and it works. I probably like the original better but that doesn’t mean “2049” is any less good. This film is meant to be experienced. Preferably on a big screen and played very loud to feel the full effect. Movies like “Blade Runner 2049” is the reason I still go to the movies.