Get Out

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Get Out

Post by MmzHrrdb »

"Get Out" (2017) 87%

“Get Out” is a thrilling and intelligent horror flick from the mind of Jordan Peele. A film with many metaphors that really makes you think of the world we live in today. In a time where "black lives matter" and the police is the targeted suspect. In the aftermath of when Barack Obama was president and how everyone was effected. Although times are changing, somethings never change. That could be what “Get Out” is all about.

Are interracial relationships still taboo? Not in this movie. Director and writer Jordan Peele is not afraid to express how he feels with his script and it shows. In his directorial debut Peele does not disappoint. HIs screenplay even won an Academy Award for Best screenplay. I thought the film was a bit overrated and I'm not sure if it is Oscar worthy, but I do appreciate the chances Peele took in writing and making this movie.

The film is about a black man named Chris who uncovers a disturbing secret when he meets the family of his white girlfriend. The main actor playing Chris is Daniel Kaluuya, I thought he did a very good and convincing job. The movie successfully mixes two genres, horror and comedy. The movie might make you jump or might make you laugh. Peele blends the two into a funny and frightening script.

Jordan Peele said the film is really about slavery. Not only slavery literally but metaphorically too. It's pretty dark subject matter. Years of oppression and brutality has made it's way into Peele’s script and it shows.

So what does the film say about society today? What does the movie say about caucasians towards African Americans in general in today's world? One of the characters even asks Chris: "Is being African American an advantage or disadvantage in today's modern day world?" I thought that was a great way to sum up some of the main ideas of the movie. One of the African American characters even says "The chores have become my sanctuary". While another caucasian man says "Black is back in fashion".

It's interesting to see how the white characters interact with the black characters and how the black characters interact with other black characters. Beneath the surface there is a lot to read into. That's probably why the script is so good. Jordan Peele has made an intelligent and thought provoking film that I think brings up a lot of topics that are discussed today. Was Peele’s script really Oscar worthy? Jordan Peele’s directorial debut is very impressive, I'm curious to see if he decides to make another horror film. “Get Out” is funny, scary and very entertaining.