Nocturnal Animals

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Nocturnal Animals

Post by MmzHrrdb »

“Nocturnal Animals” (2016) 86%

Tom Ford’s “Nocturnal Animals” maybe disturbing and shocking at times but the directing and acting is terrific. From the opening credits the images are discomforting and it doesn’t end there. Director Tom Ford has made what I think is one of the best films of 2016. In his sophomore effort Ford shows that he can really direct. His directorial debut was 2009’s “A Single Man” which I thought was a real interesting film.

“Nocturnal Animals” is about a divorced art gallery owner as she reads the new novel written by her ex-husband and begins to see similarities between it and their former relationship. Amy Adams plays the art gallery owner and the ex-husband is played by Jake Gyllenhaal. The acting all around is great starting with Adams and Gyllenhaal and ending with Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Michael Shannon. Taylor-Johnson won a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor and Shannon was nominated for an Oscar. Michael Shannon is my favorite character in the movie.

The opening credits’ images upset some critics when the film first came out. If people can get passed those opening images then I think audiences will enjoy the suspense of a really strange movie. “Nocturnal” reminds me of David Lynch films such as “Blue Velvet”(1986) and “Mulholland Drive”(2001). Jump scares, bizarre images and violence. A psychological thriller that will stick with you long after it’s over.

Jake Gyllenhaal’s performance is very powerful. He plays two characters in the movie, his character in real life and his character in the novel. In both roles he does a very good job, especially in the role of the character in the novel. A tortured man who lives the worst nightmare of his life. Michael Shannon play Bobby Andes, a dedicated Detective with nothing to lose.

Susan becomes consumed by the novel her ex-husband Edward has written, which is both dedicated to her and named “Nocturnal Animals” after his nickname for her. The novel scenes were my favorite, especially when Gyllenhaal and Shannon are talking. Aaron Taylor-Johnson’s performance is so good it makes you mad. I can see why this film isn’t for everyone, but I really do appreciate the directing and the acting.

“Nocturnal” is not your typical movie. It’s dark, twisted and bizarre. With images that might just mess with you. Gyllenhaal, Shannon and Taylor-Johnson are especially great. “Nocturnal Animals” is to be experienced with an open mind, you might just like it as much as I do.