The Sword of Doom

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
hotsake
20322 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The Sword of Doom

Post by hotsake »

Great performances, great directing, great sound design. I enjoyed the side stories and I loved Toshirô Mifune in his role even if it was much smaller than I would've liked as he is one of my all time favorite actors. I usually find Tatsuya Nakadai to be hit or miss but here he was amazing, second best performance I've ever seen him in. The one main difference in opinion I have with most reviewers whether or not they liked the film is the fact that I didn't find Ryunosuke very villainous, a sociopath maybe but not a villain. I found him to be a man who has achieved a near god like level of mastery in his field and because of this he becomes increasingly arrogant and bored and resorts to playing with peoples lives and emotions to help alleviate his boredom. This all changes when he sees Toranosuke Shimada in action and realizes that not only are their others out there that are as good as he is but people who could be even better. As Ryunosuke feels fear and doubt for the first time his mind starts to break, because since he's never had to struggle for anything he doesn't know how to handle the emotions such as doubt, guilt and fear that begin to creep into his mind until at the end he is driven mad. So I actually find him more tragic than villainous even if he is completely unlikable as a character.