Return To: Board Index | General Discussion

Games from Newgrounds(and other flash games)

Any conversation related to games or gaming.
Harpy Gee
2028 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Games from Newgrounds(and other flash games)

Postby Harpy Gee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:26 am

I've tried to add games from Newgrounds and other flash games, but I really don't get the crtieria that's accepted here. Why is Pico's School and Dan'N'Me consider acceptable but not something like Disorderly or Johnny Rocketfingers? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

mpowell
1136 Ratings

Re: Games from Newgrounds(and other flash games)

Postby mpowell » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 am

We have a criteria similar to the "IMDB Rule" we use for movies and TV shows. In order to ensure that it's a valid entry, we look the game up on a couple external database sites, GameFaqs being the main one. If it doesn't appear here, we generally don't accept it into Criticker. Sorry for not making this more clear earlier... we didn't want to set any firm rules too early in the life-cycle for Criticker Games.

Harpy Gee
2028 Ratings

Postby Harpy Gee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 am

mpowell wrote:We have a criteria similar to the "IMDB Rule" we use for movies and TV shows. In order to ensure that it's a valid entry, we look the game up on a couple external database sites, GameFaqs being the main one. If it doesn't appear here, we generally don't accept it into Criticker. Sorry for not making this more clear earlier... we didn't want to set any firm rules too early in the life-cycle for Criticker Games.

That still doesn't make much sense to me - why is Gamefaq's the foundation for whether or not something should be added? I don't see how that makes Pico's School more valid than Johnny Rocketfingers, especially when the former is much more barebones by comparison.

mpowell
1136 Ratings

Postby mpowell » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:49 am

It's just that we need a line in the sand, which we're not in charge of arbitrating. We don't have (nearly) the manpower to evaluate every game and determine if it's legitimate. The IMDB rule has served us very well for films, and GameFaqs seems to be the most valid alternative for games. The only games w/out GameFaqs entries which we've been letting through, so far, are those that have Wikipedia entries.

Return to “General Discussion”