anime movies for people who hate anime

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
edkrak
3745 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: anime movies for people who hate anime

Post by edkrak »

Certainly not everybody will like it as much as I did, but I have a thing for such grotesque stories. I'm not familiar with the manga so I don't know if it was toned down, but it was a completely independent production so I don't think that director was forced to do it. It certainly didn't feel toned down at all.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

edkrak wrote:Certainly not everybody will like it as much as I did, but I have a thing for such grotesque stories. I'm not familiar with the manga so I don't know if it was toned down, but it was a completely independent production so I don't think that director was forced to do it. It certainly didn't feel toned down at all.

I haven't seen it, but you would be surprised with many of these adaptations. For instance, the cult violence classic "Riki-Oh" film is VASTLY toned down from the manga version.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

ShogunRua wrote:I haven't seen it, but you would be surprised with many of these adaptations. For instance, the cult violence classic "Riki-Oh" film is VASTLY toned down from the manga version.

is this the Ngai Kai Lam directed live action feature? OR is there an anime version of this that has somehow eluded my notice? I'd be super stoked if there was.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

TheDenizen wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:I haven't seen it, but you would be surprised with many of these adaptations. For instance, the cult violence classic "Riki-Oh" film is VASTLY toned down from the manga version.

is this the Ngai Kai Lam directed live action feature?

Yes, I was comparing it to that one.

OR is there an anime version of this that has somehow eluded my notice? I'd be super stoked if there was.

There are actually two anime OVAs; one called "Wall of Hell" that follows the events of the film. The other is "Child of Destruction", which is a later story from the manga.

They're both okay, but neither is as good as the live action feature. I would recommend reading the comics instead.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

I may do just that, thanks.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

i've just found out Devilman Crybaby is a thing that now exists (Netflix).
Directed by Masaaki Yuasa (Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Happy Machine, Mind Game, etc.)

[I just searched for anime and plonked it here]

MontyCircus
2241 Ratings

Post by MontyCircus »

I've dipped my toe into anime and haven't enjoyed mostly any of what I have seen so far.

There was a Studio Ghibli festival in theatres a couple of years ago, I ended up seeing, I don't know, maybe 7 or 8 of them, and of all these stone-cold bedrock anime classics, I only really enjoyed "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind". It has a strong "The Last Unicorn" vibe to it (I later found out the same animators worked on that too!) and I'm convinced that if my sister and I had seen it growing up, it would have been a life-long favourite of ours.

I also enjoyed the original "Ghost in the Shell".

I also went out a month ago to see "Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie", which was getting a lot of buzz (I read it is a prequel to a TV series and is a good introduction), and I thought it was wall-to-wall trash.

So, it's not like I'm not trying to like anime...I'm just not succeeding so far.

Minorsage
407 Ratings

Post by Minorsage »

Saw this post reawaken in the update email and decided to have a look.
I don't like Samurai anime. I like most of the classics [My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, etc.] and a few weird ones [Super Milk Chan], but I really like the psychological ones. I read through and didn't see my most favourites.

- Kino's Journey
- Master Keaton
- Gregory Horror Show

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Funny going back and reading my replies to this topic 11 years later. Despite how much I've changed in that time, my views on anime haven't, and in fact, there haven't even been many good series or movies released in that time.

I finally got around to watching Millennium Actress (2001), and yeah, it's a masterpiece I recommend everyone to watch regardless of how they feel about the medium. One Punch Man (2015) was a very fun series that I think most fans of action comedies would enjoy. And watching the older The Castle of Cagliostro (1979) proved that Hayao Miyazaki wasn't always a pretentious, overrated hack. It's a good kid's movie and will probably be appreciated by parents forced to watch mindless drivel by their child.

Still, that's not a lot of new quality content.

metalhank
3473 Ratings

Post by metalhank »

Here's a bunch of good flicks (according to me) that I don't think have been mentioned yet, roughly listed from family friendly to definitely not family friendly

Wolf Children (2012)
The Castle in the Sky (1986)
Your Name. (2016)
Weathering With You (2019)
Metropolis (2001)
Miss Hokusai (2015)
Patlabor: The Movie (1989)
Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society (2006)
Appleseed (2004)
Appleseed Saga: Ex Machina (2007)
Afro Samurai (2007)
Afro Samurai: Resurrection (2009)
Cyber City Oedo 808 (1990)
Karas: The Prophecy (2005)
Armitage III (1995)
Pet Shop Of Horrors (1999)
Dante's Inferno (2010)
Wicked City (1987)