Watching certain movies at different times of day.

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Spunkie
5482 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Watching ceratin movies at different times of day.

Post by Spunkie »

Wes Anderson/Alexander Payne kinda movies, most of the indie "take a new look at life" movies are morning and afternoon appertizers. Sometimes I wake up very early to hit a fun adrenaline into a busy day.

An exception to this Pineapple Express sort of extravaganza. That's best for early night (to have higher volume) and goes incredible on a social group background.

There is no absolute time to go into auteurs, just my general mood has to be in synch. After all any of the major Bergman's are a punch in the groin, why would I leave my comfortable shoe to step into hell :D . Sometimes auteur filmography over a week or a month serves as a sweet flavor to daily life.

2-3x played early silent movies with a self selected music background goes fine for me on weekends.

Sometimes I grow too sick of packed manner of movie experience and revert to tv series for a season. Breaking Bad, Gervais' english sitcoms and anime is my leisure.

Animations/ arthouse movies are my late night food. Few hours before sleep, tiredness steps in and leaves way for obscure. I don't search for emergent meanings in them, visuals and self contained/explored worlds are enough. Mind Games/Paprika Lynch/Jeunet+Caro should make it clearer. Feeds my geek.

Claymation, extreme 3d animation and short movies are the best snacks. I remember watching shorts I saw from Psi's that changed the destiny of my day. It is more or less music's effect.

Fluent classics such as Kurosawa and Wilder serves good both at the beginning and end of the day.

Sorry for making a mess out of my watching habits.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

There are some films that -- if I can see the swaying branches of the trees outside, or the little birds playing with twigs, or the rolling clouds, it can add something to the film. My tv is only a couple of feet from the nearest window pane, so a very universal monologue or atmospheric sound can take on new meaning if I just let my head drift to reality.

And by reality I mean the ironic detachment from hyperreality. This is beautiful, of course, and wouldn't work if I couldn't see outside.

Syndromes and a Century is one I recommend watching in the dark first due to a specific part of one scene, but following that, it has worked well during the day.

However, generally I'm all about using cushions to cover the distracting backlights on electrical equipment.

I was thinking of doing a 'viewing habbits' thread. I remember reading a (presumably) spoof Werner Herzog blog, where he claimed to sit 'in complete darkness for a number of hours' before watching a movie. It reminded me of part of Wade Davis' excellent ethnosphere TED talk. I'd be interested to know if anyone's tried that sort of starving of sentience in order to heighten experience.

That blog link is quite funny. Here's another which has me rolling.

And while I'm on this shameless Herzog derail - a MetaFilter entry:

Herzog brings us Jackass for intellectuals.

Now you see I will be flying down this hill to end in the muddy, swirling river. I ride this shopping cart, and it is not meaningless transport. The rich use for consumption, with tomatoes and steak; the poor for production with collections of bottles and cans, and the artist for chaos, with the artist himself inside and these angry unknown rodents. We will see how it happens. Please light us on fire now, so we have the poetry. Push me, Kinski, now!

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

paulofilmo wrote:I'd be interested to know if anyone's tried that sort of starving of sentience in order to heighten experience.

No, but if I've been starved of watching a movie for too long, I end up liking the movie that breaks the drought almost without fail. I need to try the darkness routine. Hours is ridiculous but 15 minutes to clear the head could do wonders. Too often I begin a movie and my mind is still wandering about other things throughout the first 45 minutes.
Last edited by Bojangles on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

paulofilmo wrote:Here's another which has me rolling.

This nearly had me in tears:

CHILD: I have a dog and a cat named Sabrina, my sister’s name is Sabrina too but she’s not a cat.
HERZOG: Is the cat named after the sister?
CHILD: No.
HERZOG: Is the sister named after the cat?
CHILD: No.
HERZOG: How old is the sister?
CHILD: I’m five.
HERZOG: You can die at any age.
CHILD: Pickles is my dog.

Vertiggo
2021 Ratings

Post by Vertiggo »

MadcapLaughs wrote:My top 20 as far as time of day relates;

LATE NIGHT or "MIDNIGHT"
Last Year in Marienbad
:shock:

Yeah! Specialy if you are alone in a silent room. :ugeek: