Watching certain movies at different times of day.

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Watching certain movies at different times of day.

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Some films are labled "Midnight Movies" based on their content (usually horror or cult items), but are other movies more appropriate for viewing at certain times of the day? Are there certain characteristics that apply to such movies?

Here's my Top 20 listed according to what time of day I would prefer to watch them (Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Late Night):

MORNING
None

AFTERNOON
Support Your Local Sheriff!
Love and Death
Nights of Cabiria
Cool Hand Luke
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
Commando

EVENING
Soylent Green
Taxi Driver
CQ
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Muriel's Wedding

LATE NIGHT or "MIDNIGHT"
Suspiria
Showgirls
Myra Breckinridge
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
Blue Velvet
No Country for Old Men

KAH
1636 Ratings

Re: Watching ceratin movies at different times of day.

Post by KAH »

I usually watch movies in the evening or at night, if I put on a movie at daytime it's either because I know it is bad or if I expect it to be.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

My top 20 as far as time of day relates;

MORNING
Barry Lyndon
Metropolis (1927)

AFTERNOON
The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
West Side Story
The Godfather
Sunset Blvd.
3-Iron
The Wrestler

EVENING
The Fountain
American Beauty
Blade Runner
Spirited Away
Brick
Oldboy
Synecdoche, New York
Eureka (2000)
Pather Panchali
Aladdin
Let the Right One In

LATE NIGHT or "MIDNIGHT"
Last Year in Marienbad

Strangely enough my preferred time of day to view them all line up pretty much with what time I first viewed them at :shock:

edkrak
3746 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

I base my watching habits just on the runtimes.
>130 min - morning
100-130 min - afternoon
<100 min - evening/night
Of course those are not unbreakable rules, but it's like that just because I usually fall asleep while watching long films late in the evening.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

KAH wrote:I usually watch movies in the evening or at night, if I put on a movie at daytime it's either because I know it is bad or if I expect it to be.

This is true for myself as well. If I haven't seen a movie, and have doubts about its entertainment value, I'll likely watch it during the day.

edkrak wrote:I base my watching habits just on the runtimes.
>130 min - morning
100-130 min - afternoon
<100 min - evening/night
Of course those are not unbreakable rules, but it's like that just because I usually fall asleep while watching long films late in the evening.

Again, this is often true for me, at least if I haven't seen the movie. I rarely start watching movies in the morning, though, but rather finish watching the ones I couldn't make it through at night.

MadcapLaughs wrote:Strangely enough my preferred time of day to view them all line up pretty much with what time I first viewed them at :shock:

I could say the same thing about a number of the movies I listed. The exceptions would be No Conutry for Old Men (saw it during the afternoon at a theatre), McCabe & Mrs. Miller (afternoon on DVD), and Commando (evening on cable).

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I usually watch a movie at night or during the day when the weather is really shitty. More often at night time though.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I also generally prefer to watch movies at night. With little-to-no activity in and around the house I can be totally immersed.

Documentaries, which for some reason I enjoy watching in the afternoon, are an exception.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

i always found after hours (1985) to be more effective during after hours. =D

Jeb
2387 Ratings

Post by Jeb »

I rarely watch movies in the morning. I usually watch them in the evening and on occasion night.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Yeah the only time I watch movies during the day is on the weekends or holidays. Generally my attention tends to wander more during the day, so I try to keep it limited to stuff that doesn't require much intense concentration... English films, preferably comedies or documentaries.

If I'm particularly concerned with the visuals of a film, I try to watch it when it's dark out.