Coolest Characters Names

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: Coolest Characters Names

Post by MmzHrrdb »

As dumb as the "Crank" movies are, I have to admit Chev Chelios is a seriously badass name.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I haven't seen them. How do you pronounce it? Is there a translation? This is serious shit we're talking here. We can't just come up with stuff and throw it out there as being THE coolest name without vetting it. I mean, it could mean pink poo or something. No offense.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

dirk diggler from boogie nights

pussy galore from goldfinger

hannibal lector from the silence of the lambs, obviously

ace ventura from ace ventura:pet detective

alex delarge from a clockwork orange

the dude from the big lebowski

obviously, james bond (no brainer there)

and finally: vito corleone from the godfather

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Ah, Hannibal Lecter. Now there's a serious contender, given the permutation of his last name from lector, which is: "1. A person who reads aloud certain of the scriptural passages used in a church service". Adds a excellent degree of irony. And the name Hannibal has a rich history besides what Hannibal the Cannibal added to it:

>>Col. John 'Hannibal' Smith, leader of TV's, and soon to be the awesome looking movie version of, the A-Team.
>>Name of Mark Twain's (too bad that name isn't eligible) hometown in Missouri.
>>The Great Carthaginian General; invader and occupier of Rome on war elephants, and whose defeat by Scipio at Zama was reversed centuries later in the year 2000 on the sands of the Coliseum by General Maximus. (OOP, another nominee**)

I was given pause when I considered my disqualification of Anton Chiguhr mostly on the basis of the purity of his cold-blooded evil, wondering if that shouldn't that apply to Lecter as well. But then I remembered Lecter's act of salvation (if not repentance) in the last act in his second (and concluding IMHO) movie in that series. Anyone who can feed a creep a morsel of his own sautéed brains is cool in my book.

The character of Maximus was placed 12th in the Total Film list of 50 best movie heroes and villains and 35th in the Empire's 100 Greatest Movie Characters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximus_Decimus_Meridius . Maximus, a name which has a rich history of its own. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximus ----Another definite nominee, I believe.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

bingo, i just figured it out, been watching the movie "tender mercies" duvall's name in this movie is Mac Sledge--that is as cool as it gets.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Luna6ix wrote:bingo, i just figured it out, been watching the movie "tender mercies" duvall's name in this movie is Mac Sledge--that is as cool as it gets.

Yeah, and I just remembered a gold mine for such names, Star Wars:
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker
Lando Calrissian
and the coolest one of all if he hadn't been such a slug
Jabba the Hutt

(The lackluster response to Jar Jar Binks could well have been due in large part to his doofus [the antithesis of cool] name.)

MMAlpha
1146 Ratings

Post by MMAlpha »

Stewball wrote:(The lackluster response to Jar Jar Binks could well have been due in large part to his doofus [the antithesis of cool] name.)

I'm fairly sure if Jar Jar had been called Rick von Explodosaur the response would have remained lacklustre.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

MMAlpha wrote:
Stewball wrote:(The lackluster response to Jar Jar Binks could well have been due in large part to his doofus [the antithesis of cool] name.)

I'm fairly sure if Jar Jar had been called Rick von Explodosaur the response would have remained lacklustre.

Eh, your prob'ly right, hard to unbreak the mirror though, so to speak. Perhaps its an issue of perfectstormation with his combination of name, looks and (shiver) personality. It's always a package deal. I mean imagine if Darth Vader had been named Jar Jar Binks....or Rocky Balboa. (Now there's a picture. Imagine those ears flopping around with every blow to his big, dumb face.)

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Post by omgfridge »

Col. Hans Landa
Dr. Strangelove
Butch Cassidy/The Sundance Kid

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Tarantino always has some good sounding names.