Movies with great dialogue

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MacSwell
2706 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: please don't pull me into your emotional fuck-pie

Post by MacSwell »

Stewball wrote:I'd never be able to get past a story line in which "mayhem ensues" was used. You saying that's misleading?

Peep Show is the best sitcom ever created. "Mayhem ensues" is definitely misleading, whoever submitted it clearly wasn't paying much attention :oops:

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: Movies with great dialogue

Post by Stewball »

Maaxwell wrote:
Stewball wrote:I'd never be able to get past a story line in which "mayhem ensues" was used. You saying that's misleading?

Peep Show is the best sitcom ever created. "Mayhem ensues" is definitely misleading, whoever submitted it clearly wasn't paying much attention :oops:

Sitcom doesn't speak to well of it either, but I'll give it a shot. BTW, the title got changed by Paulofilmo for some unknown reason--going on a tirade maybe, and maybe that's why he dropped that stinking pile, Buffalo '66 into the mix. I changed it back.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Monty, you terrible cunt!

Post by paulofilmo »

Stewball wrote:
paulofilmo wrote:

That's a joke right?
Is this a test?

? Not at all.

Maaxwell wrote:Lock, Stock has the best dialogue

+1. tho withinail is prolly my fav from our weird isle

Stewball wrote:BTW, the title got changed by Paulofilmo for some unknown reason--going on a tirade maybe

Paulofilmo alters the subject for extra spice. It carries over when replied to.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: Monty, you terrible cunt!

Post by Stewball »

paulofilmo wrote:
Stewball wrote:That's a joke right?
Is this a test?

? Not at all.

I grabbed the first three quotes from IMDb, and the rest didn't look any better:

Billy Brown:Want to know the truth? I could have had any girl l wanted in school. Any girl l wanted. You know why l didn't have a girlfriend? Huh? Because there was nobody that l liked. Nobody that l liked. That's the truth. I could have had anybody. There was nobody that l liked, because girls stink. They stink. They're evil. And they're all bad, all of them. They're backstabbers like you.

Billy Brown: Is this a shifter car? I cannot drive a shifter car, alright, so we got a little situation here. I can't drive these kinda cars! What the fuck is goin' on! You think that's funny? Would you like to know, smartass? Would you like to know why I can't drive this kinda car? I'll tell you why, I'm used to *luxury* cars. Have you ever heard of a luxury car? You know what luxury means? Ever heard of Cadillac, Cadillac Eldorado? That's what I drive. I drive cars that *shift* themselves.

Billy Brown: I'm asking you to come there and make me look good. Alright? And if you make a fool out of me, I swear to God, I'll kill you right there. Boom! Right in front of Mommy and Daddy. And I'll tell you something else, you make me look bad... I will never ever talk to you again, ever. But if you do a good job, well, then you can be my best friend. My best friend that I've ever had. You hear me?

This looks like leftovers from Gilligan's Island or Gomer Pyle, may he rest in peace, finally.

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Stewball wrote:I grabbed the first three quotes from IMDb, and the rest didn't look any better

Billy Brown:Want to know the truth? I could have had any girl l wanted in school. Any girl l wanted. You know why l didn't have a girlfriend? Huh? Because there was nobody that l liked. Nobody that l liked. That's the truth. I could have had anybody. There was nobody that l liked, because girls stink. They stink. They're evil. And they're all bad, all of them. They're backstabbers like you.

Billy Brown: Is this a shifter car? I cannot drive a shifter car, alright, so we got a little situation here. I can't drive these kinda cars! What the fuck is goin' on! You think that's funny? Would you like to know, smartass? Would you like to know why I can't drive this kinda car? I'll tell you why, I'm used to *luxury* cars. Have you ever heard of a luxury car? You know what luxury means? Ever heard of Cadillac, Cadillac Eldorado? That's what I drive. I drive cars that *shift* themselves.

Billy Brown: I'm asking you to come there and make me look good. Alright? And if you make a fool out of me, I swear to God, I'll kill you right there. Boom! Right in front of Mommy and Daddy. And I'll tell you something else, you make me look bad... I will never ever talk to you again, ever. But if you do a good job, well, then you can be my best friend. My best friend that I've ever had. You hear me?

This looks like leftovers from Gilligan's Island or Gomer Pyle, may he rest in peace, finally.

Those quotes actually make me want to watch the film. Mrs Maaxwell has been trying to get me to watch it for years.

Plus, he's right about Withnail

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Maaxwell wrote:Those quotes actually make me want to watch the film. Mrs Maaxwell has been trying to get me to watch it for years.

Plus, he's right about Withnail

OK, y'all tryin' to gaslight me, right, but it ain't gonna work. There's no way that's not stupid, except for Gomer fans, Green Acres, Andy of Mayberry, Petticoat Junction, all rolled into one......Hmmmm, on second thought, maybe you are serious. :roll:

P.S. And your video is blocked. I watched a couple of other clips of Withnail and it isn't bad, not great but not stupid either. Buffalo '66 is not only bad it's depressing, watching idiots waste oxygen. And watching Ben Gazzara lip sync a whole damned love song from beginning to end in his t-shirt to Christina after he'd killed the puppy was painfully stomach churning in the extreme. Self-loathing stupidity beyond description. Fools rush in infuckingdeed. Why don't y'all take about 20 aspirin, wash your brains out with some real dialogue like in The Only Living Boy in New York (free on Amazon Prime), and get back to me when you've re-hydrated.

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

I'm 7 years late to the party i hope somebody mentioned Philadelphia story already.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ribcage wrote:I'm 7 years late to the party i hope somebody mentioned Philadelphia story already.

No, I haven't seen that one either.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Stewball wrote:I grabbed the first three quotes from IMDb, and the rest didn't look any better

i wanted something cinematic; non-didactic. it wasn't really in response to you or the original post, nor an attempt to appear obtuse.
B66 is a delicately made film—Euro inspired, but without the philosophising that feels lazy and patronising.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

paulofilmo wrote:

i wanted something cinematic; non-didactic. it wasn't really in response to you or the original post, nor an attempt to appear obtuse.
B66 is a delicately made film—Euro inspired, but without the philosophising that feels lazy and patronising.

No, it isn't lazy or patronizing, but it was a never ending slovenly, humorless stroll through a bleak background, alternating between yelling and whining, except for Christian who was in a fog the whole time I watched. I don't insist on a movie being didactic, but I do insist that I'm offered something to care about and/or identify with, and the dialogue was fatuous--which I concluded wasn't going to change, so I turned it off. What does "a delicately made film—Euro inspired" mean?