Movies with great dialogue

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Movies with great dialogue

Post by ShogunRua »

Spunkie wrote:I think you're too stuck up with the film's antiness and probably your boredom of the norms of romcom is misguiding you to overestimate/appreciate 500 Days. The film's main aim is giving the usual audience of the genre a bend around the edge, standart indie sensibilities dialogue and techniquewise, cliche start, reverse loop in the middle section, the guy doesn't get the girl and that's it. It's as obsessed about the general belief of -the fated one- as much as any romcom. The candy ending is a proof for that, not Summer, maybe Autumn.

Very intelligently stated review. Say Spunkie, what are your favorite romantic comedies?

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Spunkie wrote:It's as obsessed about the general belief of -the fated one- as much as any romcom. The candy ending is a proof for that, not Summer, maybe Autumn.

Narrator: "If Tom had learned anything, it was that you can't ascribe great cosmic significance to a single earthly event. Coincidence, that's all anything ever is, nothing more than coincidence....Tom had finally learned, there are no miracles. There's no such thing as fate, nothing is meant to be."

Most people had already made up their minds what the movie was about by the time the ending came around, so they just didn't hear it, even people that liked it. I think it's profound that the message is so simple, yet people don't comment on it because they don't even hear it, even when it's shown to them in b&w (^). The Sun may be the center of the solar system, but all too many still believe that the universe orbits around them--even after divorcing 3 soul mates.

Spunkie
5477 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Stewball wrote:
Spunkie wrote:It's as obsessed about the general belief of -the fated one- as much as any romcom. The candy ending is a proof for that, not Summer, maybe Autumn.

Narrator: "If Tom had learned anything, it was that you can't ascribe great cosmic significance to a single earthly event. Coincidence, that's all anything ever is, nothing more than coincidence....Tom had finally learned, there are no miracles. There's no such thing as fate, nothing is meant to be."

Most people had already made up their minds what the movie was about by the time the ending came around, so they just didn't hear it, even people that liked it. I think it's profound that the message is so simple, yet people don't comment on it because they don't even hear it, even when it's shown to them in b&w (^). The Sun may be the center of the solar system, but all too many still believe that the universe orbits around them--even after divorcing 3 soul mates.

Clever move, I enjoyed the movie due to it's awareness and nice construction, but wasn't into it on an emotional level. I never had the illusion of attaining cosmic significance to events of my life to begin with. Though there are patterns I unconsciously abide by as much as everyone else. The quote demonstrates how directly 500 Days plays into rom com deconstruction, if the script was that sincere it wouldn't base itself on going against the usual romcom current, but would define a more personal, newer mold. Minor changes to a genre's foundations didn't satisfy me this time.

ShogunRua wrote:
Very intelligently stated review. Say Spunkie, what are your favorite romantic comedies?

Honestly didn't think about that. I watch romcoms from time to time, never on cinema and never with company, infact I noticed I do watch them when I don't have company and to make myself go out and get one, artificial lubricant :), try to buy into them everytime. Assuming romcoms are about two people hooking up I'll try to come up with something from the top of my ratings.

Before Sunrise - not because of the romantic instances, I see this film as an extension of Linklater's long of list of -people conversing about everything there's to talk- starting from Slacker. It strikes me on a personal level because this is how I converse and open up.

Water Drops on Burning Rocks - this is the other side of the equation, antithesis of romcoms, how the power struggle and domination rolls.

Scenes from a marriage - outside of my assumed definition of romcoms, still on the same vein by two people reinventing their relationship numerous times.

Reprise - the focus is not on the relationship, but a good portion is dedicated to irrevertably falling in love and how obsessive it can get.

Groundhog Day - a mix of genres, apart from other things it's as good as a romcom can get.

Big Blue - romcom part is very standart fare, it introduces a competing obsession which makes the romcom account touching.

Then there are the Hollywood classics like Roman Holiday, The Apartment that makes buying into very easy.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Spunkie wrote:Clever move, I enjoyed the movie due to it's awareness and nice construction, but wasn't into it on an emotional level. I never had the illusion of attaining cosmic significance to events of my life to begin with.

Not everyone does, I don't, but many people do and end up in divorce court or in an otherwise screwed up marriage when they do. And we can't avoid dealing with them in our everyday lives because fate vs coincidence shades many aspects of our lives other than romance--religion and politics for instance, not to mention looking for a job, how we run our finances, and on and on.

Minor changes to a genre's foundations didn't satisfy me this time.

I don't see how you can call the shift in outlook (on love, in this case) from fate to coincidence, cosmic to everyday, a minor change in the genre.

Spunkie
5477 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Stewball wrote:
Spunkie wrote:Clever move, I enjoyed the movie due to it's awareness and nice construction, but wasn't into it on an emotional level. I never had the illusion of attaining cosmic significance to events of my life to begin with.

Not everyone does, I don't, but many people do and end up in divorce court or in an otherwise screwed up marriage when they do. And we can't avoid dealing with them in our everyday lives because fate vs coincidence shades many aspects of our lives other than romance--religion and politics for instance, not to mention looking for a job, how we run our finances, and on and on.

This is why the movie was a hit and appealed to just the right crowd, I have seen it being quoted on facebook numerous times, if it really is a marriage saver, good for it, that is way better than most movies does. Doesn't make it a better movie from a cinematic viewpoint.

I don't see how you can call the shift in outlook (on love, in this case) from fate to coincidence, cosmic to everyday, a minor change in the genre.

I have this unhealthy habit of seeing movies mainly from the viewpoint of screenwriters and directors (which I suspect isn't enclosed to me amongst cinephiles). From there this is really is a minor change, if expanded from there to something new it would be a foundation for a great movie, but this is the whole point and we have to sit through the same old to see it get made. I can hear the writer giggling by the end -see? this is not what you expected-, it's transparent. Outside of this realm the characters are uninteresting and don't come to life. Seeing that you have a serious involvement in cinema, way more than the average viewer, I'm quite sure we wouldn't be having this conversation if a larger portion of your viewing appetite consisted of those scary subtitled ones, you'd be surprised how much of the stuff you like are imitations of those.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Spunkie wrote:Honestly didn't think about that. I watch romcoms from time to time, never on cinema and never with company, infact I noticed I do watch them when I don't have company and to make myself go out and get one, artificial lubricant :), try to buy into them everytime. Assuming romcoms are about two people hooking up I'll try to come up with something from the top of my ratings.

Before Sunrise - not because of the romantic instances, I see this film as an extension of Linklater's long of list of -people conversing about everything there's to talk- starting from Slacker. It strikes me on a personal level because this is how I converse and open up.

Water Drops on Burning Rocks - this is the other side of the equation, antithesis of romcoms, how the power struggle and domination rolls.

Scenes from a marriage - outside of my assumed definition of romcoms, still on the same vein by two people reinventing their relationship numerous times.

Reprise - the focus is not on the relationship, but a good portion is dedicated to irrevertably falling in love and how obsessive it can get.

Groundhog Day - a mix of genres, apart from other things it's as good as a romcom can get.

Big Blue - romcom part is very standart fare, it introduces a competing obsession which makes the romcom account touching.

Then there are the Hollywood classics like Roman Holiday, The Apartment that makes buying into very easy.

Terrific, thanks. The only one of those that I have seen is Groundhog Day, although I've obviously heard of Scenes from a Marriage and Before Sunrise. I agree with you that the best stuff in the genre comes from Europe; my current favorite is probably Divorce Italian Style.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Spunkie wrote:Seeing that you have a serious involvement in cinema, way more than the average viewer, I'm quite sure we wouldn't be having this conversation if a larger portion of your viewing appetite consisted of those scary subtitled ones, you'd be surprised how much of the stuff you like are imitations of those.

We also wouldn't be having this conversation if he'd ever heard of Woody Allen, who had already done everything he claims this movie was doing - only 30+ years earlier.

Spunkie
5477 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

ShogunRua wrote:Terrific, thanks. The only one of those that I have seen is Groundhog Day, although I've obviously heard of Scenes from a Marriage and Before Sunrise. I agree with you that the best stuff in the genre comes from Europe; my current favorite is probably Divorce Italian Style.

Yeah, that's a fantastic one, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, light to the touch, many laughs abound. I don't know how much of my list you'll dig though, hope at least one will hit you hard (and hope that'll be Scenes from a Marriage).

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Post by omgfridge »

ShogunRua wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:Most of Tarantino's shit

OMGFridge wrote:Tarantino's catalogue.

Absolutely not. Sure, if the topic was called "movies with obnoxious, juvenile, frequently retarded dialogue", he would be the reigning champion. It's like people forget "The Man from Hollywood" in "4 Rooms", "Death Proof" in "Grindhouse", "Jackie Brown", and the ridiculously stupid quotes in both "Kill Bill" movies.

The dialogue was pretty good for most of "Inglorious Basterds" and "Pulp Fiction", which gives him a 2 out of 7 success rate.

Johnny English is shit.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

OMGFridge wrote:
My miserable life is shit.

Yep, I agree.