movie youre most embarrassed at having not seen

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
sebby
6292 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: movie youre most embarrassed at having not seen

Post by sebby »

somnivore wrote:When I saw the name of the thread, I knew my answer would be the Godfather trilogy. Odd to see how many others have said the same thing.

The really scary thing is that I've had it sitting on my desk for a year, and I somehow still haven't gotten around to actually viewing it.

You should be embarrassed and ashamed.

ZayanK
764 Ratings

Post by ZayanK »

I've only seen one Herzog, and I know I'd love him. He's very hard to find here, so that may be part of the reason. :roll:

AtGiza
864 Ratings

Post by AtGiza »

Speaking of The Godfather, I've only watched half of Part 2. I gave up because I didn't know what in FUCK was going on.
Probably my greatest source of movie-related shame right there.

prowler
937 Ratings

Post by prowler »

yeah part 2 is a great movie, but it relies a lot on the first part to work

Dunder74
1281 Ratings

Post by Dunder74 »

I haven't seen anything by Hitchcock. The thought of watching his movies, for some reason, seems like a chore to me.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Dunder74 wrote:I haven't seen anything by Hitchcock. The thought of watching his movies, for some reason, seems like a chore to me.

Some of them are exactly that. I've written this recently in another thread, but his movies have aged worse than anything else outside of the silent era.

I remember being very excited about "The Birds" when I was 13 years old, expecting to see a true classic, and then falling asleep 45 minutes later. All I got was a cliche, maudlin romantic comedy, and a couple of really crappy-looking "bird attacks".

"Psycho" is monotonous, slow, and not the least bit scary nowadays. I remember enjoying "North by Northwest" a lot more, but not considering it anything special, either. He's worth checking out for historical significance, but don't have overly high expectations.

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

I don't think The Birds, which is definitely dated and Psycho which is still interesting but in a different way than it would have been when it was made, are enough to dismiss Hitchcock. The man made dozens of films of which many are classics. The issue with both those films is that they depend more on scares than just suspense, and what modern audiences find scary in films has changed.

Shadow of a Doubt and Vertigo are my favourites, and rely much more on suspense and thrills. North by Northwest is also a lot of fun. I'd say those, along with Rear Window and Strangers on a Train are a better representation of Hitchcock and why he's so highly regarded.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

PeaceAnarchy wrote:I don't think The Birds, which is definitely dated and Psycho which is still interesting but in a different way than it would have been when it was made, are enough to dismiss Hitchcock. The man made dozens of films of which many are classics. The issue with both those films is that they depend more on scares than just suspense, and what modern audiences find scary in films has changed.

Oh, I'm not dismissing him by any means. Hitchcock made a lot of films in a number of different genres, and even though The Birds and Psycho were very underwhelming, who is to say I won't like Dial M for Murder, Vertigo, Rebecca, etc, etc?

And for their time, even those two films I have ranked may have been amazing. (Well, The Birds I'm not so sure about, but Psycho definitely was)

But I can definitely understand Dunder74's point of view, too. Even most classics from the 30s have aged better than "The Birds" and "Psycho", which is very unusual.

PeaceofAnarchy wrote:Shadow of a Doubt and Vertigo are my favourites, and rely much more on suspense and thrills. North by Northwest is also a lot of fun. I'd say those, along with Rear Window and Strangers on a Train are a better representation of Hitchcock and why he's so highly regarded.

Good to know, thanks. I'll check those out first from among his collection.

CarsonWid
3424 Ratings

Post by CarsonWid »

Toy Story 3.

Can't think of any others. I'm sure there will be movies that I'll watch in the future and be embarrased to have waited so long to see it. I remember 'Love Exposure" sitting on my hard-drive for months before I got around to watching it, and then asking myself why it took so long for me to watch it.

prowler
937 Ratings

Post by prowler »

i agree with shogun on the birds but i think psycho has aged really really well. being so ingrained in pop culture it's maybe hard to objectively appreciate the freshness and impact it still has. the black&white visuals and string-only music are as timeless as hitchcock gets. only dated bit is the shrink scene at the end