Is Criticker your list of "Every Movie I've Ever Seen"?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
caiman
2413 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Is Criticker your list of "Every Movie I've Ever Seen"?

Post by caiman »

For me, Criticker serves as a record of every movie I've ever seen. Every time I watch a new one, I rate it. This of course meant hours of browsing the database to find every movie I could remember ever seeing, including stuff I haven't seen since childhood. No easy task.

Right now my main concern is whether I've gotten them all. For those of you who are trying to do the same thing, how do you go about ensuring that you have hunted down every one of them? My main method has been to browse the database by year, one year at a time. Tedious, but thorough.

What about you?

tef
1361 Ratings

Re: Is Criticker your list of "Every Movie I've Ever Seen"?

Post by tef »

Not even close. Aside from Citizen Kaine, I don't rate a movie until I have a firm sense of what I want to rate it. Once I discovered Criticker, ever movie I've seen since then is rated, along with whatever I remembered well enough to rate in the initial stages.

afx237vi
810 Ratings

Post by afx237vi »

Mine is all the films I have a good memory of, so that means all the films I've seen in the last three or four years. I decided not to rate stuff I saw when I was a kid, or movies I know I've seen but can barely remember anything about.
Last edited by afx237vi on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

it is, but i regret the rating system.

I think we should be able to choose a tier for each movie, not automatically assigned by rating.

i obviously avoid many bad movies, so the fact that most of the movies i watch are usually good, it makes some fairly decent ones look bad because they are in the bottom 50%.

as for hunting down movies, another tip is to check your PSI matches... if your ratings are fairly similar, chances are your tastes are similar and thus, the movies you've watched are similar.

Jellysauce
1124 Ratings

Post by Jellysauce »

when i first joined criticker i was on a quest to rate every movie i had ever seen. but then criticker turned into something else which is infinitely more valuable to me and that's a resource to discover new films or if i ever wonder who has been in what or who has directed what i can come here and its so simple to find an answer.

its so easy to find a movie that usually with word of mouth or research would take ages to discover. i love you criticker.

twincinema
2889 Ratings

Post by twincinema »

No, and I don't understand why it would be for anyone. I got this account in 2007, so I tried ranking everything I have seen from 2005-onwards. For me, it's difficult to rate something prior to that for two reasons:

1. At 24-years old, my tastes have changed. Example, I re-watched Event Horizon last year. I had fond memories of watching it as a kid a few times, which I am going to guess was because of the gore factor. However, after re-watching it, the film wasn't as good as my memories had led me to believe.

2. Similar to the first point, I have no real recollection of a lot of films. I know I have seen, Halloween: H20 for example, but I wouldn't be able to properly rate it. My guess would that it would be somewhere in the 5-35 area. But, this would just be a guess on my part.

After re-reading this post, it makes it seem like I really care about my rankings. It's not that. I primarily use Criticker for recommendations for films I may have never watched.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I figure mine is only about 90% complete. Most of the gaps are things I saw when I was a kid and have never bothered re-watching, which is why from my rankings it appears I've never seen obvious '80s stuff like The Goonies, Ferris Bueller, any of the Indiana Jones movies, Star Wars sequels etc.

I really didn't think about movies as anything other than idle time-wasters until my late 20s, so there's no point weighing in with a decades-old opinion that was uninformed in the first place.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

It's not.

I try to rate every single movie that I have a clear memory of. In some cases, I have seen a film, but my memory of it is so faint, without even a clear recollection of how much I liked it and why, that it's meaningless to add the picture.

As for tastes changing with time, I try to note in my mini-review (which I am trying to write for every movie on my list) when I watched it, and whether that would affect how I perceive it today.

SirStuckey
2880 Ratings

Post by SirStuckey »

I use my IMDB rankings for that, and I only do movies that are not short films (I use the 40 minute boundary to define it). On Criticker I only rate movies that I have recently watched or the really low rated movies I had on IMDB that I will doubtfully watch again.

Jehan
2310 Ratings

Post by Jehan »

Nope. I've removed from my ratings:
- shorts (with the exception of "A Trip to the Moon")
- the stand-up comedies and similar shows
- the documentaries (with only a dozen left)
- all the films I've watched a long time ago and can't really remember so much from them

So it serves me as a record of (mostly) feature-length films I've watched in the past several years.